6.22.2016

A few really scary days…

You might have noticed I’ve been a little silent on the blog lately. But I want you to know it hasn’t been by choice. I’ve missed you dearly. Which is why I really must update you on what’s been going on in my world.

About a week and a half ago, I was rushed into emergency surgery.

My large intestine had somehow detached itself from my abdominal wall and twisted to the point where blood flow was dangerously restricted. A large section had to be removed. After several days of recovering in the hospital, I was able to go home which is where I am as I type these words.

I’ve been hesitant to explain too much about what happened to me because it’s honestly a crazy story. And I’m not really into crazy.

But, I treasure you as a friend and sometimes friends just need to be invited in and told the bottom line.

God miraculously saved my life.

I don’t say that with drama. I say it with tears in my eyes and the deepest gratitude in my heart.

The surgeon called me on Friday to tell me there was no sign of cancer in the pathology report. Praise God.

But then he said something else that I can’t stop thinking about. “Lysa, I don’t like throwing around the word miracle. But the fact you survived this is a miracle. The pathology report showed your cells were in a state of death.” I didn’t know what to say.

I had no words. Except “thank you.” Thank You, God. Thank you friends who prayed me through this. Thank you to this surgeon who finally figured out why I was in excruciating pain for days and days in that hospital bed.

Thank You that I still get to do life.

So, here I sit. But this quiet morning is different.

I have a sacred realization. And I have a complete refocus on just how precious every second of every day truly is.

Might we all dare to whisper “it’s a gift” to God today?

When the baby is crying and the deadlines are pressing and the stress is mounting and the enemy whispers “just get through this crappy day.” Look up and shame the enemy back to hell by acknowledging today is a gift.

A gift from a good, good Father. And then look, seek, and dive deeply into what a true gift it is.

Comments

1. Marisa says

SO glad you are okay!! Love how God’s plans for us are so much higher than anything that can happen to us. What a wonderful blessing to know He is in control of ALL things and how the miracle of life does not have to be at birth. ((HUGS))!!

2. Sheila Green says

Praying for your complete & speedy recovery! Thanking God for His miracles!❤️

Hi Lysa! I’ve been thinking about you so much over the past couple of weeks. Honey, I know (almost) exactly what you’ve been going through, and you’re right–it is nothing short of a miracle that you (or I) are here. About 8 years ago, during a nasty bout of diverticulitis I ended up in the hospital for 11 days, resulting in having 18″ of my colon removed. It remains one of the most scary and important times in my life (and, I would say, in the lives of my daughters).

I just want to encourage you that the worst is over. You will, hopefully, begin a steady climb back to complete health now, although it may take some time. Just give yourself the grace to rest and just be. Take this time to seek the Lord and what He has for you next. It may be the most wonderful time of your life!!

Please feel free to get in touch if you need to talk to someone who has been through this. I know that the first month or two post-surgery felt something like PTSD to me and it helped to have people to talk it through with. I’ll be praying for you, friend.

Dear Lysa,
    I am so happy that you are ok. Between your Proverbs 31 Ministry and First Five you and the other ladies have changed my daily study and faith life. I especially could relate to your recent piece about “I’m not good enough” and today’s “There’s a lady in the gym that hates me.” I have let these feelings dominate my life but fortunately I’m getting away from this lack of confidence.
    God Bless You Always for making just a difference in the lives of so many of us that read Proverbs 31 and First Five daily.
    Andrea

5. Pat Schaeffer says

I am so very thankful you are home and alive for you are a chosen child of God and his eyes are on you! May He wrap His arms around you and bless you. May He lead you step by step through these days and help you to know when to stop and when to go on and pause as he tells you something He wants you to hear. I send my love and a big hug! You sure were a testimony to the doctor.!! A sister in Christ from Maine!

6. Kathy Acre says

I am so very thankful for the miracle you have experienced. You are an amazing woman that God uses to change the lives of so many. I’ll be praying for renewed strength and a speedy recovery. God bless!

7. Diane says

Praise God for His divine miraculous divine intervention. God is not finished with you yet! The enemy desires to take us down and out but He comes to give life and to give it abundantly!
    Lysa, your devotionals, blogs, books and words of encouragement have been very timely in my life and the lives of so many that I have forwarded them on to.
    Just recently I too have been going through some major health issues and major family upheaval. Just had surgery on Monday and biopsy’s and Now waiting for the results. Either diagnosis is not great but trusting and have faith in The Almighty Physician.
    In the process I too am hesitant to share this crazy journey I have walked this past few years. But I can see the Masters hand leading and guiding with His still small voice.
    I pray The Lord will continue to restore and heal your physical body and strengthen you each day for the journey ahead!
    You truly are a blessing!
    Diane

8. Donna says

I have prayed for you Lysa. I hope you are feeling stronger each day. I know God probably wants you to slow down at times but He didn’t have to go that far. LOL. ❤️Donna

9. Cathy Evangelista says

I am so thankful you are ok thru God’s grace! A miracle!! God is good -God is good to you and me- God id good All the time!!🙌🙌💝💝