Hi Friends, if you're looking for information about the fun and FREE Best Yes Webcast click here.

Friday, January 17

10 Prayers For Your Daughter

There is something I’ve come to realize I need to guard against as a mom. I sometimes want to be God in my kids’ lives.

I want to write their stories.

I want to set the courses of their futures.

I want to determine what’s best for them.

I want to prevent them from ever being hurt.

I want to be their provider and protector.

And I want to be the one to set anyone straight who messes with my kids.

Can you relate on any level? I think most moms can. We love these people entrusted to us more than we ever knew possible. And despite all the infant sleepless nights, toddler tantrums, tween eye rolling, and the teen decisions that break our heart slap in two… they are ours. To love. To lead. To launch.

And we want to make it all good.

But then things happen so beyond our control we eventually have to face the reality that we aren’t God. And we can’t operate like we are.

So what do we do with that gap where our mommy capabilities end and trusting God begins? I want to trust God with everything beyond my control with my kids but it’s so scary. It feels so risky.

And scary and risky are two words us moms don’t want as part of our kids’ lives.

So, how do we deepen our trust in God? How do we make peace with the limits of what we can and cannot protect them from? What do we do with the risky and scary feelings that can make a mom lose sleep at best and feel crazed with fear at worst?

We must fill that gap with the only thing that bridges the space between our limitations and our trust in God… prayer.

I know, I know – that can sound like such a cliché Christian answer. Typical. Too hyper-spiritual. Not the answer we want sometimes.

But prayer is the only possibility with real possibility.

Earlier this week my friend, Brooke McGlothlin, wrote an article I posted on Scriptural prayers for boys. Today, I want to post some specific Scriptural prayers for our girls.

I’ve prayed these and I’ve seen amazingly powerful things happen in the lives of my daughters.

I can still fret and worry and want to mess with anyone who messes with my girls.

My girls still make mistakes, and cross lines, and give the principal reasons to call me.

But where would we all be if the power of prayer wasn’t in the mix of our lives?

And what might these prayers be working out for their futures that I won’t see for years to come?

Yes, prayer is the only possibility with real possibility. And that brings me to the place where I can finally say… “Hello, my name is Mom. Not God.”

10 Prayers For Your Daughter

10 Powerful Prayers to Help You Fight for the Heart of Your Daughter:

1. Give my daughter a deep desire to listen to You, Lord, and pray often, “What message does my Lord have for his servant?” (Joshua 5:14b).

2. Let her learn early in life that to obey You, God, is the best way to the life her heart truly desires, (1 Samuel 15:22).

3. May she find comfort in Your ability, God, to reach her, hold her, and rescue her, (2 Samuel 22:17-18).

4. May she please You, Lord, by desiring, asking for, and utilizing a discerning heart full of wisdom, (1 Kings 3:9-12).

5. Let her find confidence in You, God, even when hard times come and she doesn’t know what to do, by keeping her eyes fixed on You, (2 Chronicles 20:12).

6. Give her a great desire to accept Your word, God, and store up Your commands within her so her ears will turn to Your wisdom, (Proverbs 2:1-2).

7. May she keep herself under control and not give full vent to people and situations that anger her, (Proverbs 29:11).

8. Give her the ability to rise above the traps of people pleasing so she can be kept safe by trusting You, Lord, (Proverbs 29:25).

9. Let her walk in the security of Your assigned worth to her. Give her a strong work ethic and health to accomplish all her tasks. Give her a heart that desires to extend her hand to those in need. Protect her for the right husband, a man of respect and godly honor. And let her be a woman of joy and laughter whose Christ-centered character is what makes her most beautiful, (Proverbs chapter 31).

10. And every time you, Jesus, whisper, “Follow me” she does so with great grace, (Matthew 4:19).

Today, I’m giving five commenting blog friends a copy of the book I wrote with my daughter, What Happens When Young Women Say Yes to God. To enter, leave a comment below.

(For “10 Powerful Prayers to Help You Fight for the Heart of Your Son” click here.)

This has really blessed me. I have been wrestling with me teen daughter who have come to a point that making a decision about school has been a struggle for both of us. We have been at odds and now I have found my peace. I am “mom” not God. There is only one God and he is the only one who can protect her to the full.
    My job now is to step back, continue to cover her in prayer and allow God to do in her and through her all the things I can never do. He loves her and he has her in the palm of his hand. He knows the plans that he have for her….plans of hope and an expected end. To God be the glory….
    Thanks so much.

Please pray for my 17 yr old . She ran Away with her 2 year old daughter and I just found out she is pregnant again

• 1072
      Elizabeth says:

Jessica,
      I am praying for you, your daughter, your granddaughter and your future grandchild.
      I believe she will come back but she was afraid of what would be said. Pray that she will see that you love her unconditionally. I will keep praying.
      Blessings, Elizabeth

• 1073
      RENEE' PITTMAN says:

I will write this down & share & study with my 37 year old daughter. No matter how old, we need all
      the help we can get. Thank you for letting God use u to help others.

This spoke to me in so many ways. Thank you for sharing these wonderful truths. I need to trust the Lord with my daughter and interceed in prayer.

Thank you. I have 4 adult daughters. 2 young mothers & my oldest expecting. Your blog hit home as I was searching for guidance. God bless you abundantly. Thank you.

Kimberly Parker says:

My daughter and I are so far apart from one another… and she is further away from God…. I have adopted her 2 of her children….. I just want my daughter to know and Love God and to know that God forgives her…. and she needs to forgive herself… so please help me pray for her…. thank you

Valerie Aleksandruk says:

Philippians 4Philippians 4:6 NIV
    Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
    Not anything/ Everything prayer / thanksgiving. Read often, memorize and say often. God’s word is living and powerful when I am spiritually dying and weak with worry.

Thanks for every other great article. The place else
    may just anybody get that type of information in such a perfect way of writing?
    I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such
    info.

Troy Duck says:

Thank you for this wonderful article. As a father who struggles with raising three daughters and who often let’s the world and its worries come between me and God’s purpose for my influence on raising Godly girls, I really appreciate your calling me and others back to the truth, the foundation, the ruler by which we are to measure success…I am printing your words and God’s word (the verses you used as reference) and placing it about my house and work as a constant reminder. Thank you for refocusing me. God bless!!

Michelle Brumfield says:

Please pray for my daughter Britany as she is a brand new mom that is dealing with a husband that has been unfaithful and she is trying to hang on to her marriage and so hurt, so angry, so broken and it hurts me so much knowing that I can’t help her. And I’m across the country just a wreck clinging to Christ to reveal himself to her right now. Thank you

Susan Coulson says:

Thank you so very much. You will never know how much I neede to read these truths tonight.

Serracat says:

Thank you for this! My 15 yr old daughter is struggling with a friend who is being very demanding of her friendship. I’m praying prayer #8 specifically!

After having devotions for our girls, God lead me to your site. I am thankful for your encouraging words.

Thank you so much for this post. It was perfectly timed to help me in a time of tremendous stress and uncertainty. No doubt God is working through you.

Cindy Kelling says:

Thank you so much for the “10 Powerful Prayers to Help You Fight for the Heart of Your Daughter.” This is exactly what I needed to read today. God bless you!

Gail VanHoy says:

Thank you for these prayers for my daughter. She is 15 and going thru what I hope to be a phase. If this way of thinking becomes permanent, I don’t know what will happen but it won’t be good. I keep thinking of what our pastor taught last Sunday, “If it ain’t good, God ain’t done yet”. So I keep praying.

Asking for prayers for my daughter that she makes the right choices in life and for me to learn that I am Mom not God and I must trust in the Lord and His plan but I struggle so much to let go and let God! I am so anxious and it affects everything that I do in life Asking God to heal my heart and mind and give me courage and peace

This is where I am at. I lay it down, surrender, I say no to trying to control a situation that is out of my control. I love these prayers and take the challenge to pray instead of fret,worry and try to fix it.

terrie snider says:

Please pray for my granddaughter who I have raised,she is 15 and she is so troubled. Her parents have both done time in prison. Her mother has changed her life around totally . Her Father is sill gone . Her Mother lives in Washington state. And my granddaughter and I live in Texas. She won’t go with her mother unless I go. She is hanging around the wrong crowd. All I do is pray for to find God and keep him in Her life. IN Jesus name I pray.

Arlisa Bonner says:

I’m praying for my daughter. God please help her to pass all of her tests. She will be graduating this year. Please pray for her…I love her dearly.

I’ve known so many broken women and one thing they all have in common is an absent or abusive father. I feel blessed that I can be in my daughter’s life and show her before I pass that she will always have her heavenly Father and He will never leave her.

Michele says:

I have been blessed with a wonderful daughter who is the sweetest thing I know on this earth. She is very loving and kind, but the world is not. She is 22 and is constantly being hurt by co-workers, peers, as well as older family “friends” who she has helped in the past. I do not understand it. I am praying that it doesnt change her way of always thinking of others first. Please pray that she finds peace within herself and that she finds a comfortable work place environment. I was up all night worrying about her until I came across this website. Thank you!

Jen Wooldridge says:

Thank you for this! My daughter turns 18 in less than a year. I’m so terrified for that day. God has been nudging me to release her to Him.

Stephanie says:

I found a link to your blog in an article. it is timely not only for me, but also for a dear friend of mine who is having struggles with her teenage daughter. As much as I try to “control” things, I have learned that I can control very little. I am learning to hand my days over to the Lord.

Thank you for the 10 prayers listed. I found your blog and prayers at a time that we needed it most. I will be praying these for my daughter who needs lots of guidance . What you wrote on your blog is so me–I need to let go and let God. I’ve made myself so sick with worry that my husband had to remind me that God has her in His hands. I look forward to seeing salvation and sanctification for our children.

Cat Anderson says:

Thank you Lysa, for saying yes to where God leads you. Thank you for your servant’s heart. Thank you for letting us visit you in your life. Thank you for these prayers for our daughters, who need them more than ever in today’s world where evil and temptation is on every corner. Thank you for encouraging us to turn to God and His Word. From one mother’s heart to another….much love and appreciation!

Your writings and spiritual help are an inspiration.
    Now that I have a granddaughter I want to
    instill in her a deeper spiritual sense of God.
    I want her to see God in me. I want to devote the
    time to her that I wasn’t able to give to our son.

I am so VERY thankful for my relationship w/my daughter. I feel very
    blessed she calls me her best friend and
    always enjoy talking with her anytime,
    day or night as I have told her so when
    she needs to talk. But like you, I am
    Mom…not God. But I pray for her daily
    as she has anxiety issues. I only pray
    for her future happiness. Thank you for these prayers; the will be so helpful to me for her. May God bless you and yours!!!

Thank you, I know God led me to this site. I have 2 teenage girls and one is struggling with her faith. I will pray these prayers daily. I like alot of moms struggle with worrying over my girls. I needed a reminder to trust that God has a plan for them and its not MY plan, but His.

I beg your prayers- I just had horrible repeat fight with 16 yr daughter . I said ugly hateful things in response to her hate- filled yelling.we are both Christians struggling to see God in our situation since her dad walked out 4 yrs ago. So much rejection for precious lil girl .

Jo Ann Smith says:

Please pray for my 18 year old daughter she is in a relationship with a 28 year old man …

Jo Ann Smith says:

MichelleT says:

Lisa, I heard you speak on Mother’s Day at my church. You were such a blessing to me that day. My 17-year old & I, well, we used to be so close and now we’re not. It just breaks my heart. So many things have happened this past year. She’s made bad choices & suffered terrible consequences. I’m constantly messing up & the Lord is constantly reminding me that He has her. And just as you said…I’m not God. The more I interfere, the bigger mess I make. He’s taught me so much through the storms this past year and yet I still have so much to learn. She’s such an amazing girl. I just pray that she will realize that sooner than later. I pray for the Lord to reveal her gifts to her and give her the desire to use them as He would have her. I’m going to look for this book. I know I didn’t happen upon this page by chance. So obviously the Lord has words for me through your teachings. Thank you for your obedience to His calling. You have touched so many lives. God Bless You.

I like reading through an article that can make men and
    women think. Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!

Rosa Debroy says:

Hi, this has been such a a blessing for me! I was wondering if it’s ok with you that I can translate to S

Jennifer says:

Thank you for this article. It truly blessed me, a mother of three children, ages. 15,6&4 . They are such beautiful prayers. & thank you for attaching Bible verses to each prayer. So much power in His name.
    God Bless U .

linda jordan says:

Thank you for this and reading this there was one word that really stuck out and gave me confirmation PRAY and I really appreciate that. May blessing be poured out on you each day.

Pls pray for my daughter to come home soon she turn 18 and the very next day she left Thank God shes safe with my mom but still I want her to come home also pray for her addiction to drugs and pills Lord help me hear my cry….. Amen

cynthia says:

My 17 yr old daughter has left home and living with a fly member.she has made some mistakes and blames me for the abuse from her father that she has witnessed. To make a long story short. I started praying these prayers & had a priest to come n bless my home. I have a certain peace about it n know that she’ll be back.God does in fact has us in the palm of his hands.continue to pray for us for healing that everything will turn out for good.
    thanking u in advance
    cynthia

My husband and I have been praying over his daughter to break the things that bind her. It’s hard when it feels one sided and when I’m the disciplinarian and prayer warrior. You’re article has given me hope and scripture to pray over her life. This evening as I read through the comments I prayed for each family represented. We are not alone in our struggle to raise and encourage our children!

I searched for comfort this morning in regard to my daughter who is under stress and sometimes is too trusting. Your words helped and I will continue with these prayers ongoing.