How do we navigate relationships with those who have hurt us or continue to pull us into dysfunction?

Sign up to receive a free and helpful 3-day devotional called

Stop Dancing With Dysfunction: 3 Days to Setting Better Boundaries today!

l

An early sneak peek of my next book…

July 16, 2018

As my family has walked through a long season of hardship, I have been devastated beyond what I thought I could survive at times.

But I’ve also been incredibly blessed and humbled as I have watched the work God has been doing in all of us.

Me.
Art.
And my children.

I desperately wanted to spare my kids from hard realities. But God has used it to develop their character in ways that leave me breathless. I wouldn’t have chosen this. None of us would. But God is breathing life into our dust and making something beautiful out of it.

There are still some things I’ll never understand.

But there are other things that I see and am grateful beyond words. The strength and courage my children have displayed. The wisdom they have gained. The bonds between them that strengthened.

I would have never picked this journey for any of us. But seeing a deeper faith in God emerge in them has certainly proven to me that truly ALL things can be used for good.

What the enemy thought would destroy us has only made us stronger. He thought he could silence us, but we came out praising God even louder.

And though the darkness lasted longer than I thought we could survive, the Light has come. We are truly peeking over the edge of a miracle.

If you’re walking through your own deep disappointment or devastation, I’d love to encourage you with an early sneak peek at my new book, It’s Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered. This message was written in the hard moments of our family’s story and is filled with the rich truths the Lord has shown me along the way. Pre-order your copy today and receive the first 3 chapters so you can start reading right away.

You’ll also gain access to a private Facebook group I’m hosting with my friends where we’ll process through deep disappointments together. I look forward to meeting you there!

You May Also Like…
Stop Dancing With Dysfunction: 3 Days to Setting Better Boundaries

Stop Dancing With Dysfunction: 3 Days to Setting Better Boundaries

Do you ever feel like relationships are amazing ... until they're not? I understand this frustration.  Because the more deeply we are invested in someone, the more their choices affect us — emotionally, physically, mentally and financially. So how do we navigate...

The 5 Healing Perspectives You Need For Your Hurt or Heartbreak

The 5 Healing Perspectives You Need For Your Hurt or Heartbreak

Do you ever find yourself replaying and reliving the details of the deep hurt in your life? I understand. I’ve been there.  And whether you’ve experienced pain through an event or a collection of hurt that built over time because someone wasn’t who they were...

The Book I Didn’t Want to Write, But Desperately Needed

The Book I Didn’t Want to Write, But Desperately Needed

A million tears. One thousand hours of study. Countless days writing. One heart that didn’t think I could live this message. And a God that didn’t let me drown in my sorrow or give up. I'm grateful to finally get to show you the book that wouldn’t let me go and quite...

48 Comments
  1. Kacy

Will you be forming a launch team for this book? I’ve been on several for other authors, and I love working with a team to get the word out about great new books!

• Lysa TerKeurst

Hi Kacy!!

There isn’t an official launch group for the book. With that being said, if you pre-order the book, you will be added to a private Facebook group called Behind the Pages where all women who have pre-ordered the book will be together having discussion and watching videos of Lysa and friends related to the message. You can read more about that in this blog post!

Thanks for asking!
      Mary Scott, LT Ministry Team

• Kristy Wyllie

Lysa, if I pre-ordered your new book at a Lifeway Christian Store, am I still added to the private FB page?

2. Amanda Jones

Will there be a launch team for this book?

• Lysa TerKeurst

Hi Amanda!!

Thanks for asking!
      Mary Scott, LT Ministry Team

3. H.

I am going through the exact same thing you are and I asked a group of Christian friends last night, “How can God bring good out of this?” Your email today reinforced what they shared with me last night. Wish you lived closer. I would love to chat. Thankful for you and your ministry.

4. Amber Paulsen

Praising God with you! So thankful He brought you and Art back together. 🙂 God is so good! I’m trying to praise God through a hard financial time my husband and I are going through. Times ahead seem rough for us, but I need to believe that the Lord will be with us and that He will provide.
    Your book sounds really good! 🙂

5. Jo Anne

WOW, I would really like to read this book. I am going through a divorce after 18 years of marriage – it should be final on 8-17-18 and I am at a loss as what I am actually going to do. I have 2 teenage daughters and we need to figure out where we are going to live. Where we are now is too expensive for my wages. One daughter will be 18 in a few months and the other 16. So I will only get a small amount of child support for two years…basically, I am freaking out. I put in to go on a personal leave from work in hopes that I can figure it all out! It’s really hard…I have not been able to put the house on the market and I need to do this ASAP, hence the leave.
    Thanks!

• CASSAUNDRA CARMICHAEL

Jo Anne. I prayed for you and will continue to pray for you. T
      Heavenly Father, thank you so much for taking care of Jo Anne during this unexpected transition in her life. Lord, I thank you that she feels your love and experience and abundance of your favor, provision and protection. Thank You for showing up for her in her daughters in an Ephesians 3:20 way. She is not alone. You knew this day would come and have already provided a way of escape. Please give her peace in the midst of this storm, knowing that you waste nothing – no trial, no test, no hurt, no loss – You use it all for your glory.
      Thank you Lord for bringing people into her life to walk alongside her, to encourage her, to speak life and provide tangible resources,
      In Jesus’ Name,
      Yours in Christ
      Cassaundra

• Jean A.

Jo Anne,

Reach out to family, friends and your church. You need support right now. Don’t do what I did and close yourself off from everyone. It was the worst thing I could have done. Luckily my church had a divorce recovery class that I took about a year later. There I found people I could connect with and facilitators who were wonderful. I’ve been divorced 11 yrs now and moved over 1300 miles away but I’m still in touch with some of those people. Try and find out if your church can recommend a support group or a counselor to help you get through this. They might even be able to connect you with a church member who has been through a divorce and now helps fellow members.
      I will pray that your housing issues resolve themselves quickly and that you and your daughters find happiness in the near future.

“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10

6. Maria

I just pre ordered the book and I can’t wait to read it. Sometimes I feel God is not listening to my prayers because I’m so busy crying or yelling about my life and comparing myself to others.. I have a very low self steem right now. I know my problems are nothing compared to yours but I need help. I need to really make God first instead of how I look and how fat I feel. I really admire you Lysa and I wish I had your strength and faith to be able to do what you do..

7. Lisay

Lysa
    So looking forward to your new book. Just ordered.
    Love from Florida
    Lisay

8. Holly

Can’t wait to read this new book Lysa!
    I wonder if P31 OBS will do a Bible Study on it too?

9. Vivian Ott

I would be interested in a pre-order of your book and a preview of the first 3 chapters. Not only will it help me – but I have a very dear friend at church who is truly struggling/ how can I get a copy of the first three chapters as you mentioned in your email? Thank you. Vivian Ott / [email protected]

10. Deb

I just ordered your timely book as my bestie was just diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. We always planned to grow old together ; praying it still happens . We are going to be reading this together. We may be miles apart but we can still share your timely words. Thank you for writing this… grateful .

11. Pat Whalen

Hi Lysa,
    I purchased your book which will be down loaded on my kindle. How do I access the first 3 chapters? So looking forward to reading this.
    Pat

• Lysa TerKeurst

Hi Pat!

Once you have pre-ordered your copy, you can go to itsnotsupposedtobethisway.com, click “claim my free gifts”, and submit your receipt and your 3 chapters will be sent to your email instantly!

You’ll also gain access to a private Facebook group with Lysa and friends where we’ll process through deep disappointments together. I look forward to meeting you there!
      – Mary Scott, LT Ministry Team

• Heather

I have pre ordered and never got the chapters by email. Help??

12. Sharee

I just pre-ordered this book. I cannot wait to get access to the Facebook page and the first theee chapters. I cannot express how your boyfriend Las and Facebook posts have helped me through a life altering experience this summer.

13. Kimberly Fairchild

I would like to pre-order your new book. I work with woman who have walked through or walking through what you have experienced with your husband. I have walked through a very similar journey and God healed our marriage in spite of me wanting to throw in the towel. Our God is an awesome God. He can save, repair and renew what I, in my limited perspective, thought was hopeless and lost.

Kimberly Fairchild
    San Antonio TX

14. Kristen

I preordered the book and then went to the link and entered all of the information to receive the first three chapters and its been a little over a day and I still haven’t received them. Does anyone know if I did something wrong or if there is an error something?

15. Onalenna

This is one book i so want to read. I shall be waiting. God bless you.

16. Linda Novakovich

I am really looking forward to this book.

17. Aimee

You were on my heart today. Praying for the Lord to give you strength. There is “nothing too hard for God”!

18. Susan Jo Cockerham

Hello, Lysa.
    I just ordered the book; you are such a blessing to me. I wish you well from Florida, and I keep you and your ministry in my prayers.
    Warm regards,
    Susan Jo Cockerham

19. Steve

This looks pretty good. My only problem is that I’m a man and would definitely feel out of place. But I’m confident many men suffer the same disappointments. Do you know of anything similar to your ministry for men?

20. Susanne Duncan

Can’t wait to read your new book!

21. Keysha Thomaston

Over and over, since you announced there would be a new book, I whink about Hosea.
    Hosea was always one of those books I just didn’t think was fair. Growing up in our happily-ever-after-fairytale mentality, the thought of someone’s marriage and children being used solely to speak to a nation seemed…harsh. I mean, that was his personal life. Yes, go out during the day and prophesy, but let him come home to a loving family, right?
    Ugh. I still feel bad for him, or those horrible names those children had. No “name-meaning” cards at Lifeway for them!
    What you’ve written via Facebook, First 5, etc., over the last 3-4 years…it saved me. The Lord had a way of sending your words as if they were written directly to me. It became almost funny how accurate and timely you spoke to me.
    Being someone who lost a marriage to an affair (while I was pregnant with our second child)…I would not wish that agony on anyone. My heart aches for all you don’t get to say publicly.
    Lysa Terkeurst, I believe you could be (kind of) like a modern-day Hosea, in that your marriage brought forth words of honest instruction and warning to women all over the world.
    There’s not many women, especially Christian women, who can go out and speak out about soemthing that is like a plague to over HALF of all marriages.
    A plague. A pestilence of broken people who cannot find their way out of the dark.
    You are providing a light.

It’s not fair that you had to take this latern and go out to the gate…to deliver this type of message to us. Yes, God has a perfect plan, but it still hurts. It’s probably hurt for a long time.
    I guess all this rambling is to encourage you that it’s already meant something for eternity.
    Unaware of the reason behind your words the last few years, those lines of pain and hope were a lifeline down into the deep pit of depression where I was. There was no light. I called it The Upside Down.
    Imagine my chuckle to the Lord when you introduced that book cover.
    Audible laughter. I’m like the kid reading the book in The Never-Ending Story, looking around, like, “Was that for me?”
    Jesus will take even the smallest grain of sand left and rebuild a future without borders for you, Art, and your family.
    I believe it.
    ❤️
    Straight Outta The Upside Down,
    Keysha
    @thegladgame

22. Robbie Rooker

Good Morning Lysa
    I am 65 and just found out last week that I have cancer. When the doctor told me I could not even think. I felt a dark presence that I could not shake
    Saturday night I remembered a video I had seen where you talk about your Breast cancer I watched it and you said you prayed to God and told him it was to much for you so you gave it to God. I asked God to do the same for me. I felt peace and was able to sleep that night. I just want to thank you for what you do. I love First Five

23. Vivian Ott

I would like to pre-order this book – and receive the first 3 chapters. PLEASE

• Lysa TerKeurst

Hi Vivian!
      Pre-order your copy today wherever books are sold, and receive the first 3 chapters so you can start reading right away. Once you have pre-ordered your copy, you can go to itsnotsupposedtobethisway.com and submit your receipt and your 3 chapters will be sent to your email instantly!

– Mary Scott, LT Ministry Team

24. Julie Noel

Dear Lysa,

My stepdaughter has severe anxiety and depression. She is 18. We have been dealing with these issues since she was 13. She is medicated through a local psychiatrist who literally spends 10 minutes every 3 months for a Med check and that all. She is very stubborn and refuses to do counseling saying it doesn’t work. The truth behind that statement is counseling would bring up issues with her biological mom that she doesn’t want to face because she loves her so much and honestly I don’t think she can handle dealing with that. I am going through my own health crisis of breast cancer. It has been a blessing in so many ways. One is my prayer life. I have been praying for Grace to seek the Lord. I know he is the only one who truly can help her. I’m not sure where she is in her walk as she doesn’t share that with me. She insisted on a huge colllege 2 hours away so you can understand my concern. I have done a few of your bible studies and I love how raw and honest you are about your life and how loving your writing style is. Could you recommend one of your devotional for someone suffering fro severe social anxiety or devotion? Or if you’ve read one from another author. I would like to purchase one to give her to take to college. Sorry for the long post. I had chemo yesterday and the steroids have given me insomnia. I’ve been up since 3:30. 😬

Yours prayerfully,
    Julie Noel

25. Julie

I can’t wait to read this, Lysa! I didn’t envision most of what I’m dealing with in my adult life. I didn’t think it would be this hard.
    Everything I’ve read today keeps telling me God sees the great big picture and I only see from my limited vantage point. I have to keep walking in faith and hope.

26. Maria Pisciotta

Hi Lysa!
    Thank you for continuing to be such a blessing to so many lives! Your ministry is exactly what we women need in this broken world. I am truly looking forward to facilitating your new book in our women’s small group but unfortunately it will be released after our group launch. Is there any way we can work out receiving them sooner? Our group launches September 9. Please let me know.

Blessings!

• Lysa TerKeurst

Hi Maria,

We are unable to release a new book before the launch date as there will be final edits until it is released into the world. Excited for you to get the book when it releases November 13th!

Many blessings!
      – Mary Scott, LT Ministry Team

27. Bonnie Hoskins

I’ve pre-ordered the book through Amazon. Will I still be able to be in the “behind the pages” group on FB?

28. Karen Huckaby

I have ordered the book, submitted the verification and signed up for the Facebook page Behind The Pages (love the page). I have lost my email with the link to the first three chapters. I resent the verification yesterday but never received another email with link to chapters. Is there some other way I can get the email resent. Thanks

• Lysa TerKeurst

Hi Karen!

Can you please email me at [email protected] so I can help you with this?

Thanks!

Mary Scott Mercer, LT Ministry Team

29. Jordan Becker

I cannot wait to read your book! This last year I’ve encountered more loss, disappointment, and hurt than I ever imagined possible. I am praying your book/story gives me the encouragement to stay strong in the midst of the pain and to remind me that God has a plan for me that’s bigger than a flood/affair/single parenting/and a fire! So, thank you in advance, I’m so looking forward to reading your book!

30. Erica

I will forever remember the day I read your post about making the impossible decision to divorce Art. I was on a business trip with my husband and while we should have been connecting, kid free for a week, something just wasn’t right. I thought that he was in a deep depression over his mother’s death but it turns out he was deep in an emotional affair (along with some kissing) with a co-worker and I didn’t find out for almost a year. Even though I didn’t know what the problem was at the time, I remember reaching out to my 2 close friends that I had confided in about the recent distance in our marriage. They tried to reassure me that while I feel like you and I are soul sisters because you seamlessly write the words of my heart, that your story wasn’t my story and they were sure infidelity wasn’t the problem. But May 4th, 2018, I found out it was. In the 3 months since finding out, I have tried everything in my power to reconcile and bring about healing but, as I am sure you know, it has to be a two person effort with God’s wisdom and grace. I struggle with the thought that I may have to separate from him in order to bring about the true healing that God desires as we have three young children (13,11,8) that are hurting through all of this too. Through it all God has given me assurance that we will be together but it is so hard to see right now how that will happen. Your story gives me hope that God is in control of it all and I have to be patient and faithful as His will works itself out. Thank you for sharing so openly and I can not wait to read your new book!

31. Clare Warren

Hi Lysa,
    I love your books! I love your honesty and it is something I can relate to.
    I am so sorry to hear what you are going through.

God bless you and your family
    Clare

32. KimberlyRae

Currently reading Uninvited and Chapter 6… wow… I am walking this road now… divorce was final 7/27/18… it has been a pain worse than death… I wonder all the time “how can He fix this, bring us back together, when in husband’s mind, it’s over” your story of reconciliation gives me hope… I’ve preordered this book… golly November is far off, but I look forward to reading it

33. MM

I am almost 11 months from finding out about my husband’s affair. He still refuses to break it off and still says he doesn’t know what he wants. As a result, we are separated. My teenage sons and I are heartbroken. I feel so very lost. I don’t know how long to hold on. I am tired of living a life second-guessing every little thing – why did he not answer the call from his son when I know he is always around his phone, why did he say that thing in that way, etc. I know that if he doesn’t get right with God, he won’t get right with us. I’m losing hope.

• Stephanie tremblay-dulong

MM, have you read the book love must be tough? I would encourage you to look it up. It’s a great perspective for people like your situation and it’s by Dr. James Dobson, a very godly man!
      I really It in hopes my husband would be moved by my actions of tough love but he doesn’t even speak to me or have any contact with us so it made it more difficult to have hope and he’s also completely abusing substances and just a mess! But I hope it could help you!!

Stephanie

34. Randi Stanton

Hey Lysa,
    I have been involved in your Bible Study Uninvited. As we neared the end of the book, you shared that you are Post Abortive. I, too, am Post Abortive along with several of the other women in our group. We attended a retreat called DeeperStill in April and it changed my life. I knew that I had forgiven myself, but there was so much more that I needed to let go of. We are working on having a Chapter here in Arkansas.
    I thought I would share with you about the Retreat. I would recommend it even though you have been through some healing. Just a thought. I went to the one in Cookeville, TN. Everyone I know, I am pushing that they go. It is called DeeperStill for a reason. I have been calling myself the DeeperStill pusher. 🙂 They brought us through things I would have never thought about conquering or overcoming. I believed I was okay. They tapped into things that needed to be dealt with for complete healing.
    I am in the process of writing a book on being Post Abortive. I hope to publish it one day.
    It took me a lot of years, and abuse from myself and men, to finally let go and forgive myself. I want so desperately to help other Post Abortive women find forgiveness from our Heavenly Father and forgiveness for themselves. I think of the 1,000,000,000 babies aborted every year, and know there are 1,000,000,000 women out there that need healing. One day I would like to fight the lawmakers on this issue. To be able to reach out to the millions of women that have done the same thing I have done. The journey that my actions took me on, were some miserable years. I was sure wallowing around in the pit. For 30 years I self-destructed. One common thread that I and the other ladies had, was that the majority of us were molested at an early age and even into our teens.
    I am waiting on the Lord to move. I wait as He prepares my mission. My mission is to help woman and girls, who have had an abortion, learn how to let go and forgive themselves through my experiences.
    The DeeperStill Retreat is worth thinking about, and going to.
    In Christ Jesus,
    Randi

35. Jody Hamm

Lisa-would this book lend itself well to a women’s study?

• Lysa TerKeurst

It sure would, Jody! There’s a Bible study guide and videos to go along with the book too! – Amanda, LT Ministry Team

Submit a Comment