3.24.2016

3 Questions to Ask Before You Turn into a Quitzilla

My friend Nicki Koziarz has written a fabulous guest post for all of us who have a tendency of letting our emotions dictate whether or not to quit something. I wish I could send this blog back in time to my younger self because y’all. For real. I quit so many things when they got hard. So, I think you’ll really appreciate the wisdom Nicki is sharing with us today.

My friend Melissa and I used to work out together. I say used to because, hello, my name is Nicki, and I’ve quit everything.

Anyway, I signed up for this boot camp in one of my I’m-so-desperate-for-change stages. My thighs were getting gigglier, and my muffin top was no longer sucking in, despite all the fancy undergarments I bought.

For the first few weeks boot camp was a really good thing. I felt great after I worked out, my muscles were stronger, my clothes were fitting better, and I had a new circle of friends working toward the same goals.

But like a lot of things I begin, my commitment to boot camp began to waver.

One Thursday morning Buck, our boot camp teacher, was in a pretty bad mood. Normally he was super encouraging, but on this particular morning I felt like he was fed up with me.

He probably was; I would have been fed up with me too.

The last part of our workout that day was these things called planks. Planks are basically putting your entire body weight on your elbows and holding your body up for as long as required. R-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s.

Buck had instructed us to hold our plank for a certain amount of time; I can’t exactly remember what the time limit was. But it was an eternity, I promise.

So in my head I counted the plank out, and Buck counted according to his stopwatch. But for some reason my count and Buck’s count were very different. When I finished the count in my I head, I dropped to the ground. But Buck screamed at me to get back up!

With wide eyes I looked at my friend Melissa who was right beside me and said, “Did he just YELL at me?” She confirmed, “Yep.” Well then.

Well, I did not get back up. In fact, I started crying. I had to excuse myself to the bathroom because the tears just kept on coming. I felt like a mortified wimp.

I know Buck wasn’t trying to humiliate me; he was doing what I paid him to do, push me.

But in that moment, on that day, I just couldn’t take it anymore.

I quit! And I became quite the Quitzilla: furious, fed up, and fast to walk away.

Here I sit almost two years later typing these words, wondering what I would look and feel like today if I hadn’t given up so easily.

But it’s not just workouts I tend to want to give in to the temptation to give up. So before I make that decision to quit, I’m asking myself a few questions to help keep my inner Quitzilla at bay.

1. Are my feelings dictating my commitment?

Whenever I have quit something because I’ve been angry or upset, it’s always led to regret. Keeping my feelings in check has been so helpful!

2. Have I given this decision twenty-four hours?

Taking the time to reflect before we quit something is incredibly important. Twenty-four hours almost always provides another perseverance perspective I desperately need.

3. If I quit, am I reflecting God?

I want to represent God in all things, not just the easy things. So asking myself this question before I quit helps me keep His viewpoint in place.

If you think you might have a Quitzilla in you, or if you just need some encouragement to keep going, I’d love to invite you join Proverbs 31 Ministries for our next Online Bible Study! We’ll be going through my book 5 Habits of a Woman Who Doesn’t Quit and study the life of a woman who had every right to give up, but didn’t, Ruth.

The Online Bible Studies team is giving away 2 copies of the book to Lysa’s readers! To enter, head here to sign up for the FREE OBS and then leave a comment here on the blog sharing your favorite Bible verse that helps you persevere.

Comments

1. Nikki says

2 Timothy 1:7! For God has not given us a spirit of timidity but of power and love and discipline.

2. Janice says

Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”

3. Carolyn Rivera says

My life scripture is Jeremiah 29:11 for I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.

4. Debi says

I appreciate these questions, and hope to remember them next time something is just too hard to do! A verse that might fit here (and is easy to remember — short and sweet, but not easy) is II Cor 5:9b – “…so we make it our goal to please Him.”
    Thank you for sharing Nicki’s excellent commentary.

5. Sonia Ridge says

I have been feeling the Holy Spirit prompting me to start a small group at my church centered around food addiction and how’s Satan uses it to distract us from what God has for us to be doing. I’m praying for leading and courage and opportunity in this area. I don’t want to be a quitter before I ever begin……my verse today…
    “Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.” I Corinthians 16:13

6. Candyce says

I would absolutely love to win this book and be able to work with a huge group of women on this issue. I have been struggling for the past year with being consistent on working out and eating correctly. I haven’t permanently thrown in the towel, and I don’t plan to either, but this would definitely help me keep me in check. I really needed this today!

7. CathyJ says

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
    ‭‭1 Thessalonians‬ ‭5:16-18‬ ‭NIV‬‬

8. adriana says

My verse is Proverbs 3:5-7 it always brings me to ask myself if I’m trusting God or if I’m trying to do everything in my own strength. I’m glad I was able to read this post today cause lately I’v e really been struggling to find a reason to stay in college.

9. Debra Madden says

Wow I need this Bible study for sure. I give up on thing all the time. Thank you for the invite. Looking forward to the study.

I actually don’t have a Bible verse that I use to help me perserve …. I need to find one 🙂 Maybe that is part of the reason that I always quit I’ll be looking through all the comments to help me choose one 🙂

11. Peggy says

If you faint in the day of adversity, your strength is small.
    This verse kept me going many times during some very tough years raising and homeschooling 5 children, two of whom have special needs. There were many days I wanted to quit, but by God’s grace I made it through those years!

12. Janice H. says

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you, plans to give you hope and a future.

13. Tiffany says

1Tim 2:7 (God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind/self-discipline) It isn’t usually used about perseverance, but it’s one that God has used in my life a lot of times to help me focus on not fearing something (which is often why we quit). And it also provides for the sound mind thinking that is described above (for ways to make the decision about whether quitting is the right thing).

Thanks for the beautiful comments left for this post. Brothers and sisters in Christ should encourage each other, and lift up God’s name always.

15. Sharlene Pillay says

My favourite Bible verse on perseverance is Philippians 1:6 – ‘being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.’

Whenever I feel as if ‘I can’t’ then these words remind me to be still and know that ‘He will.’

16. Kathy says

Colossians 3:23-24; “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”
    I love this verse. It helps me throughout my day when aggravations show up, I think about this verse and changes my perspective who I am living for and working for.

17. Elizabeth says

Jeremiah 29:11 – “For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”

18. Gwen says

My favorite verse of encouragement is 2Timothy 1:7
    For the Lord has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind (self-control)