6.24.2015

Why Do Girls Like to Take So Many Pictures?

So the directions to the dudes begin:

Look natural but please strike a pose.

Look casual but please don’t be goofy.

Smile but not so big as to make it look forced.

Place your arms around me…
No, to the side…
No, that actually isn’t working at all. It makes me look bigger than you.

Just drop your arms and let me just hold onto your side which helps hide my hips.

lysaart2

Okay, now smile.

No, not like that.

Not like that either.

I mean show your teeth but not all the way to your gums.

You know that look like we just caught you in your most happy moment ever? That’s what we are going for.

lysaart3

Just look like you are really enjoying yourself.

Snap. Snap. Snap.

Okay, now let me see. Okay, that was good but let’s try a few more.

And so goes the torture of getting “that” picture.

Maybe you are a guy who loves this whole process because you are the picture lover in your family more than the girls. All the heart emojis to you today.

I happen to do life with less enthusiastic fellas.

So, here’s a quick little article to help you understand what’s really going on with these pictures that feel so very painful to capture. It’s more than an Instagram post. It’s more than an addition to our Facebook timeline. It’s more than a potential new profile pic or screen saver for our phone.

When a girl loves a guy she wants to be able to prove to herself this is real.

He is my person. I am his. And together we stand.

Pictures are a way to snag the essence of the making of us.

Like Romans 12: 9 says it’s her way to “cling to what is good.”

She’ll revisit that picture many times.

She will hold it in her hand and turn it this way and that. And the stability of that picture that doesn’t change will give her hope that the two of you can stand the test of time.

And it will make her feel safe when her heart gets shaky. She’ll examine the way you were holding her hand or touching her face or looking toward her.

This picture will prove something she needs to know but can’t explain.

This picture is a great gift you are giving her without even realizing it. Trust me, it’s worth it.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. So very true.

lysaart1

And the next photo she asks for? See it as the love note you don’t have to write. The song to her you don’t have to compose. The poem about your love you didn’t have to anguish over.

Comments

1. Janice Allen says

My husband and three sons were good to indulge me in many, many pictures through the years. Now after the sudden passing of my husband in April, I am so very grateful for their indulgence as I am able to look through those pictures and relieve precious memories.

How CUTE!!! 😀 I love this! My hubby and I are so busy we so rarely take pics but this reminds me that we need to way more. May the Lord bless you and your family with many more GREAT pics and too-awesome-for-words times together! 🙂

• says

My incredible husband, Ron Smith and I took several pictures prior to our marriage, even at our wedding and during special events. These pictures have been showing us just how much God’s wanting us to realize that being togethgod wants both of us to view one another through the love lens, as opposed to a physical camera.
      “The looks from the guys were unmistakable. Pausing for another picture meant they were about to enter into their girl’s quest for the perfect shot that looks accidentally awesome.

So the directions to the dudes begin:

Look natural but please strike a pose.

Look casual but please don’t be goofy.

Smile but not so big as to make it look forced.

Place your arms around me…
      No, to the side…
      No, that actually isn’t working at all. It makes me look bigger than you.

Okay, now smile.

No, not like that.

Not like that either.

I mean show your teeth but not all the way to your gums.

Just look like you are really enjoying yourself.

Snap. Snap. Snap.

Okay, now let me see. Okay, that was good but let’s try a few more.

And so goes the torture of getting “that” picture.

I happen to do life with less enthusiastic fellas.

When a girl loves a guy she wants to be able to prove to herself this is real.

He is my person. I am his. And together we stand.

Pictures are a way to snag the essence of the making of us.

Like Romans 12: 9 says it’s her way to “cling to what is good.”

She’ll revisit that picture many times.

This picture will prove something she needs to know but can’t explain.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. So very true.

Look at her with great adoration and right before they snap the picture whisper into her ear, “I’m seriously the luckiest guy on the planet.”~ Lysa TerKeurst
      Awesome! What an incredible thing to remember! Pictures can show what we want; however, that’s not the God views. Our Heavenly Father sees us as flawless, needless of how we already see ourselves.
      “Today, pray that your marriage is one in which you both agree, and that God will be in the center of it:

“Lord, unite my husband and me in a bond of friendship, commitment, generosity, and understanding. Help us to make time for one another alone, to nurture and renew our marriage and remind ourselves of the reasons we were married in the first place. I pray that my husband will be so committed to You, Lord, that his commitment to me will not waver, no matter what storms come.” ~ “Power of Praying” by Stormie Omartian
      Amen! what an incredible thing to always remember! Our marriages aren’t always going to be “picture perfect”. In pictures,it may appear that nothing is wrong with your relationship, but there’s nothing rrong with admitting that improving can always happen.

You two are so cute together! I seems to be too busy taking pictures of kids, grands, and dogs to even think about a photo of me and my husband. We have even been know to take couple and family pictures on holidays and later say, “well we didn’t even get a picture of us”!! Great article!

I have a feeling thousands of husbands will be getting a post by Lysa Terkeurst forwarded to them today. Does this come in little boy language also? My 8-year-old is starting to be so over the whole endless pictures thing. lol

5. melissa says

Now if someone could explain this to my children so they will actually take pictures. It isn’t just to preserve that moment, but rather the emotions involved. While they are so busy growing up and away from the nest, those pictures remind me of those moments.

6. Vicky says

What a darling couple you are!!! Beautiful article. My husband passed away 17 months ago and I treasure our pictures together. The “eyes” say so much even in pictures.

7. Sharon says

Thank you Lysa for this awesome post! I always love taking pictures, just that I couldn’t explain the reason whenever people ask me why. This definitely resonate with me: “A picture to a girl isn’t just a way to capture a memory. It’s a way to preserve a million thoughts and feelings and hopes and dreams culminating into that very moment with you.” And so very true, I will re-visit the photos again and again! 🙂

From the guys point of view… Thanks for this snap shot of my Best Girl’s thought process when it comes to pictures. Maybe I can help my seven year old son understand why mom wants the perfect picture as well.

9. Shauna says

My husband is as much a picture taker as I am. But of different things–he likes scenery shots when we are on vacation. I am a scrapbooker, so our daughters have grown up subjected to mom’s persistence in taking pictures…we are all thankful for digital technology! (I used to get so frustrated because Imwould get shaky blurry pictures…now I can take as many shots as I need to and worry about what ones to actually print later.)
    This did make me giggle though. I have found that the most cherished pictures I have of my husband and myself actually are those taken by other people. Somehow they just manage to catch those unposed moments that let us see ourselves the way others do. And that, in our case, so far has been a positive thing!

Yup. This is definitely a loving way to hint to the ol hubby what I really think about our couple selfies LOL. Thanks for sharing this Lysa, you hit the nail on the head 🙂

11. Amy says

When I saw the blog title, I was thinking about my 7 year old daughter who LOVES to take pictures of everything – her friends, cats, toys, plants, sunsets, rainbows, etc. I frequently hear, “mommy, take a picture of _____.” I suppose one day she will have that special guy who she will want the perfect picture with too. 🙂

12. Louise Greiner says

Thank you for articulating the need for some us to take pictures. You spoke directly to some emotion that I’ve experienced because this blog post brought me to tears. Maybe it was the feeling of not being understood and not being able to express why, but you nailed it!

Awww, so sweet, Lysa. I grinned at the glimpses of you and your man, and nodded yes at your description of why our photos with our men are important to us. Your line: “So, think of the taking of this picture as your way of expressing things she’s desperate to hear you say but you’ll never think of all the words.” — expresses it.

Grinning.