1.15.2014

10 Prayers For Your Son

Last week I wrote about prayers for your marriage. There was such a response, I decided this week to have my friend Brooke McGlothlin write a guest post on 10 prayers for your son. (On Friday I’ll be posting 10 prayers for your daughter.)

Here’s my friend, Brooke…

He looks at me with a “heels dug in” kind of glare. I know if I said, “the sky is blue on a sunny day” he would try to prove me wrong.

Sometimes, I don’t feel like we’re on the same team anymore, my son and I, and it breaks my heart.

On days like today, when he’s arguing with everything I say and trying his eight-year-old best to do things his way, it seems I’m fighting against him—like there’s a war going on in my house between me and my son, and a distance between us I want to bridge no matter the cost.

I know from my education that this process of differentiation is pretty normal. Boys ache for independence from mama, and feel ready to “boldly go where no man has gone before.” They want to be strong, assert their opinions, and explore their own ideas. Unfortunately, at the McGlothlin Home for Boys, we’re living in the in-between season— where ideas abound before they are mature enough to handle the responsibilities that go along with those ideas.

And so we butt heads.

Sometimes, I’m tempted to let our circumstances tell me my son is the enemy—he’s the one I’m fighting. But then I remember…

“For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” Ephesians 6:12 ESV

When the days of mothering grow long, and make a girl weary, and when what you really want to do is lock your son up in his room and throw away the key, it’s good to remember this:

He’s not your enemy. But there is an enemy.

That’s right, our sons have a real enemy—one that wants to kill, steal and destroy them (John 10:10)—but that enemy, according to the Word of God, has an opponent himself that’s a force to be reckoned with.

You.

Me. Any mother who’s willing to get on her knees and cry out for the heart of her son.

James 5:16 says, “the prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with” (The Message).

The best way a mom can enter the battle for the heart of her son is on her knees, so let’s start fighting for him right now.

10 Prayers For Your Son

10 Powerful Prayers to Help You Fight for the Heart of Your Son

1. Create in my son a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within him (Psalm 51:10).

2. May my son walk after You, God, and fear You and keep Your commandments and obey Your voice. May he serve You and hold fast to You (Deuteronomy 13:4).

3. May my son be strong and courageous and not fear or be in dread, for it is You, Lord, our God, who goes with him. You will never leave him or forsake him (Deuteronomy 31:6).

4. May my son walk before You, God, as King David walked, with integrity of heart and uprightness, doing according to all that You have commanded him and keeping Your statutes and rules (1 Kings 9:4).

5. Like Timothy, may my son be an example to believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity (1 Timothy 4:12).

6. May my son listen to the way of wisdom and be led in the paths of uprightness (Proverbs
4:11).

7. Lord, be with my son in trouble; rescue him and honor him (Psalm 91:5).

8. May my son honor his father and mother… (Ephesians 6:2).

9. May my son have love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith (1 Timothy 1:5).

10. May my son think on whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is commendable; if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, may he think about these things (Philippians 4:8).

———————-

Thank you, Brooke, for this beautiful list of Scriptural prayers!

Praying for Boys

Brooke McGlothlin has a new book called Praying for Boys: Asking God for the Things They Need Most. It’s an insightful and much needed book for all moms of boys. Click here for more details.

And today, Brooke is giving away 5 copies of Praying for Boys! To win, leave a comment below telling us what prayer you are praying for your son(s).

Comments

1. Kela says

Thank you so much!!! Sometimes my heart aches for my son!! I continuosly pray for him because the enemy is trying to plant in my head that autism has won!! But no weapon formed against us shall prosper!!! I keep thinking maybe he needs a male figure or be around other boys who are well manered!! But I do remember God said He has adopted my son!! Thank you so much for the scriptures!! God answered my prayers for direction! God bless you!!

• Elizabeth M says

I can relate 2 your feelings. We have a 19 yr old son who has Asperger’s. We need 2 keep on encouraging our sons with God’s love. Pray & do our best 2 continue fully rely on God! God bless u both. In Christian Love, Elizabeth from Florida

• Tanya says

I fall asleep crying wondering if tomorrow will be a better day. My 10 year old son is not himself anymore. He hates me fir leaving his father 4 years ago and now he gotten to the point where not only does he have no respect for me but for any woman in authority. I sit in his class to help his teacher because his disrespect disrupts the Class. He never used to be like this. When I finally break down in front of him he knows i finally had enough and becomes the child i once knew compassionate. I know my only hope is through prayer. I want my child back my happy child. He hates the world and everyone in it right now. Thinks everyone is against him. I love him so much I dont know what to do. Prayers for him and for our family. I fill so broken

• Leon says

BELIEVE!!! PRAY WITHOUT CEASING!!! Our faith is tested through the trials we face. Don’t give up look up. God will restore what is broken. Repent and confess any sins that might need to brought before God. And remember God works all things for the good of those who love Him.

2. Laura says

My son is now adult with a need of prayers now more than ever. An iraqi veteran, a husband and father wrestling with alcohol and his need to return to his Lord and savior. Thankyou so much for these powerful prayers. I have written each of them on index cards and can use them to pray specifically and boldly for my beloved son. Thankyou Lord, that you will deliver my son.

• Teresa Hunt says

Hi. My son is 27 and married with their first brand new baby boy. My son’s father died at age 44 of alcoholism and drug addiction. I struggled for 30 years with alcoholism and drug addiction and haven’t drank or used in 4 yrs. My son is battling unseen forces right now that he refuses to acknowledge. I saw your reply and thought maybe we could also remember each other’s sons when in prayer. Satan is walking to and fro seeking souls to devour. I have felt first-hand the power addiction has over an individual and it scares me to death when I consider my son and grandson will be in the path of the destroyer of all that’s good.

3. Romy says

Thank you for sharing this prayer. I have a 15 year old boy and I’m praying for his heart & mind.

4. Shelley says

I have 14 and 10 year old sons that are like night and day. They both have chromosomal issues that they were born with but are so different that they don’t have the same issues. I pray for them so much and for their future. This was an awesome post that I will hold in my heart as I pray more for them!

5. Carla Huff says

My son when he was younger stood on verse 1 Timothy 4:12 for he was small but bold in his beliefs. Now a man he has walked away from God and I still believe in the power of prayer over him. He is still strong willed and when he returns to the Lord he will be able to do mighty things for God, but all starts with prayer. Thank you for your blog today.

My son is 11 years old, and he is such a blessing to our family. He was born with a heart defect and a deformed ear. When he was 2 days old he had heart surgery, and has done great! His biggest challenge is his ear. Not only is it deformed but he can not hear out of it. He has always faced that challenge with a great attitude, he has never let it get him down. I can see his heart for The Lord and my prayer for him is that God uses him and all of his challenges for his glory. That his light will always shine for Christ!

7. Donna C. says

My son is 25. He is a wonderful, loving young man always ready with a hug for everyone. He was raised in the church but does not always make good choices. I am praying: May my son listen to the way of wisdom and be led in the paths of uprightness (Proverbs
4:11). Thank you so much for your list of prayers. I pray for him but don’t feel like I am praying boldly.

8. Debbie says

I am praying for Proverbs 4:11. My son, ( I have 3 ) is fighting against his own spirit I feel at times. I pray for him and try to talk to him. At times I feel he does not even hear me. If I correct him and show him the truth he thinks I am being unfair to him and makes it look like I am a bad mom. His father and I are divorced and I feel so guilty that I allow him to get away with things and I know I am not pleasing God in it. I feel he blames me for the divorce. I really want to know more on how to pray for my boys. Thank you so much for your encouragement
    Debbie

I have a 25 year old son he has been raised in church he got baptized when he was 12 he backslid when his uncle past away. He gas been raised only by me he got involved with this Girl and they had 2 children they split up we have my oldest grandson and she kept my 3 yearold granddaughter since then he has turned to drugs I put him in a rehab for a year but it hasnt worked I pray for him daily but I feel like God doesn’t hear me or I’m not praying with boldness what do I do?

• Debra says

Keep praying! Keep believing. Our God is so powerful and Loving and forgiving He loves our sons and your son more than we do. Keep Praying! There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
      I too know your pain and I am trusting God in this totally!!
      I am praying for you right now that God will let you feel his power and strength, feel his Loving arms giving your courage and you will feel HIS presence and peace that in HIS time God will heal your son of his addiction and more.

10. Jennifer says

I have two sons and a daughter. I am praying God surrounds them with Godly friends and teachers that will encourage and manifest the love of Christ. ‘If we don’t teach them to follow Jesus, the world will teach them not to.’

11. Susan Glardon says

Thank you for these prayers my son is not saved. I pray for his salvation he is almost 17 and I want him to be saved. This is a cruel world we live in.

12. Georgina says

Lord put a hunger in my son’s heart for your word and fill them with Your spirit. May the follow you and surrender all their ways to you in Jesus name amen!

13. Linda says

My every morning prayer if we are going to be apart for the day:

Oh, Lord, I cannot be with him today. I cannot protect him. I cannot watch after him. He will be out of my sight, far from my reach. Only You can see him. Only You can protect him now. Please keep him safe.

14. Amanda Perez says

Thank you so much for this!! I am struggling with my 9 year old ADHD, Defiant, knows everything Boy. He is trying to fit himself in this world and thinks it comes in a box. The struggle is intense and leaves me in tears most nights. I am in the fighting ring ready to fight and searching for resources to power me. Perhaps I am not on my knees positioning myself as I should. Thank you for sharing!

15. Barb says

I pray for my married sons to be the head of their home and to love their wife and children and to gently provide and care for them in a loving way, teaching them to obey God above all else.

16. Chonda says

Your honest introduction and the prayers brought me great comfort! I, too, am at war with my 8-year-old. It’s even more complicated because he’s adopted and beginning to process the “why” of it all. Guilt and questions over where I went wrong have been stealing my joy! I am thankful for this list of prayers and comforted by a renewed feeling that I’m not the only one.

17. Carol S. says

I’m praying for my son to have Godly friends and people around him as influences. Remove the ungodly relationships and restore a right spirit within him. For him to know the Truth that will set him free We are in the process of adopting him from another country and mothering from such a great distance is extremely difficult! So many bad influences around him. I thank God though my son may be thousands of miles away, there is no distance in the spiritual realm when we Moms pray.

18. Laura says

Your post leaves tears running down my face as I recall all the prayers and daily devotionals spent with my children. We memorized scriptures and prayed together every morning for years before we left for work and school. When my son left for college, he took a wrong path and even after every kind of spiritual warfare, he died in 2008 from a drug/alcohol overdose. Praying for your sons and your daughters does not always have the outcome you had hoped for. My heart is broken and always will be, but God is near to the broken hearted. Trust in the Lord with all your heart.

• Carol says

My heart aches for you in the loss of your son. Never did we dare think that could happen. I am praying that God will hear my prayers, and I will not lose mine to depression
      God bless you my sister, I will pray that you will find some peace until you meet your son once again. Much love to you.

• Sharon says

Laura,

My husband died on February 27, 2000 from an accidental drug overdose. We had three little boys, 9, 4, and 8 months. Now fourteen years later, my now 22 year old has been to rehab battling the same battles. He seems good for now, but I pray constantly for all of them. I am so sorry for the loss of your son. I will keep you in my prayers.

19. Kay says

I am praying for an almost-54 son who was baptized many years ago. A good person, but not following God’s way. And I am praying for a 67-year-old brother who does not believe in God. He is a moral, kind, loving person, and it would break my heart for him to die as a non-Christian. Thank you for these scriptures. I will pray more diligently and more boldly.

20. Melanie says

Thank you for sharing this. The hardest thing is trusting the outcome of your child’s life. I can’t change my sons hearts but God can.

21. 'Bode Bello says

Thanks a lot for this powerful prayers for our son. I have 2 grown up sons. In no time the wedding bells will start ringing by His grace through Jesus our Savior. This prayers for them everyday will surely help them through in life. God bless you more in Jesus Name.

22. Jacqueline Conlin says

Giving my son to you Lord. Trusting you have him in all he is and does. I’m praying he is leaning into you and that he will remember that you are his first Father and the Father who will always be there for him no matter what is going on in the world. Amen

23. Venus Ann says

My son is 18, getting ready to graduate and then on to boot camp. I am praying that God open my son’s eyes & heart to see what He has in store for him, and that God is always with Him, no matter what! Thanking God for this ministry!!!

24. Carol says

Our son is just 1.5 years old but his father is an unbeliever. Ever since I learned I had conceived him I have been asking God to save him at an early age and teach me how to raise a man of God. These prayers are wonderful and I speak them over my son Isaac and pray for his salvation. Thank you!

25. Kathy says

Your prayers for son’s (grandson’s) is wonderful! My 3 sons are grown with son’s of their own. Unfortunately, 1 of my son’s has been fighting with the Devil for a long, long time! Drugs, alcohol etc.. I refuse to give up on him! He believes in God, he has told me so! But falls victim to the Devil it seems at every turn! He was brought up with God in our lives and home but started choosing the “easy” way when things would get hard. I know he has made his own choices, but I also believe that God hasn’t turned away from him, he turned away from God. My middle son also believes but doesn’t make the effort to take his children (my grandchildren) to Church. My youngest son has started going back to Church is the past 3 months. I’m so proud of him and happy for him. He seems to be much happier! I will continue to pray the 10 prayers for the rest of my life!! I will say them once for my son’s and a second time for my grandchildren. They deserve to know and love God with all of their hearts!! I WILL NEVER GIVE UP!!! The Lord will never give up on us!! While it is true that you can’t make someone change, you can be a living example of Gods Love and mercy! God is merciful and mighty. Love him with all of your heart and soul! Amen

26. donna says

my 9 year old son has been experiencing challenges, so i have been praying for my son’s heart and spirit to be filled with His light. the prayer to think of what is honorable and true resonates with me

Wow. What a powerful blog! And if I dont’ win this book I’m for sure buying it! I have 2 sons, almost 4 and 15 months! I’d say this time in my life I’ll be adding to my prayer lists: Prayers 2 and 8!!!
    Thank you!

28. Dedde Radley says

I am a grandmother raising two grandsons. Your article was great thank you. It is not easy being a grandmother doing this all over again especially by myself.Thank you for reminding me about Gods wisdom Dedde

29. Sharon says

Your post was shared with me today by a friend. My 21 yr.old son was diagnosed with a rare disease three years ago called Cyclic Vomiting Syndome. This happened during his freshman year of college. He has been admitted to various hospitals close to 60 times now. I have prayed and cried asking God to please heal him. Your post reaffirms that I need to be praying bolder.
    Thank You!

30. MLW says

My son is 35, imprisoned for the second time, and hates me. I pray every night for him to see GOD and to let GOD guide him toward a better future when he returns this time. I pray too, that GOD show me how to support him without smothering or criticism, or judgement. Thank you for these prayers.

31. karena patterson says

I am praying that my boys become examples of God for others. That they love him so much that strangers can see it. That they are strong men of God. That they are blessed among men and loved.

32. sheron says

I am praying for god to deliver my sons from evil, Lord please wash and cleanse them, place your healing hands on both of them guide their steps let them walk in uprightness, truth, love, kindness and every thing else in Philippians 4:8. Lord (I ask that you give my sons Peace in Jesus name Amen.

33. Tabatha says

My boys are 7months and 2 years. I pray for God to bless them each and every day, that they will come to know, love, and serve Him with their whole heart, mind, and strength.

34. Denise says

I have 4 sons my third son is 19 and 2 hrs away at college. He is in an unhealthy relationship on and off for the past 2 years. he knows everything that is wrong but its like she has a spell on him. I feel she is the devil and he can not break free no matter what she does. I am so very angry for all the hurt and trouble this girl has caused my son and our family its so hard to be nice. I really reached out to her and bought her a devotional book and spoke to her I thought she was changing, she did not . I pray God knows whats best for him and i need to give up trying to control the situation , Its become very stressful on all of us. I have read a devotionl book 90 days of prayer for your prodigal son I started reading it again. I dont know how to totally let go

35. blanca vasquez says

thank u, i cried as i read your prayers, i have beens praying for my sons, that they would have a relationship with their heavenly father, that relationship that was lost in the garden with the fall of man, that they will be filled with the Holy Spirit, that they will be blessed men who trust in the Lord, who’s confidence is in Him, that they will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream, who do not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and may they never fail to bear fruit. Jeremiah 17:7-8, To go out into this world and make a difference all for the Glory of God!

36. Myra says

May my sons walk after You, God, and fear You and keep Your commandments and obey Your voice. May they serve You and hold fast to You (Deuteronomy 13:4).

37. Louise says

I have four grown sons ipray for them while they were in my wound and still believe God will turn there hearts back to him they know God is keeping them only one attends church I love these prayers for boys.

38. Sheila says

My son is 8 years old. With all the things that he may be exposed to, all the temptations and choices, I pray that he finds his identity based in Christ. That his heart and head are filled with the words of truth. That he can faithfully and courageously follow The Lord.

39. Kristi says

I have two young sons and I am praying that they will grow to understand the purpose and calling that God has placed on their lives. Also that they will be humble, loving and walk with integrity.

40. Karen says

Thank you for the scriptures. My daughter is dealing with a stronger willed 2/12 yr. old. Hopefully this will give her some encouragement and something to cling to.

41. Carol says

Ty so much. My son is now an adult, but was hurt badly at work three years ago. He has had three back surgical procedures, and now has had a spinal implant put in. He is still im so much pain, and now the.pain has gone into his neck. Every day is a battle. He cannot work at all. He is 44 and should be having a good life. I praise God that at least now he has been able to wein himself off the addicting prescription drugs, but he is still in so much pain. I pray endlessly day and night that our Lord will help him. He’s so brave, but his depression scares me. I thank God that during all this his faith has increased. Your messages have been of great help to me. I pray for you and your sons. Please pray for my son John. As your sister in the Lord I thank you.

42. Pam says

Wow I am so thankful I woke up at 3:30 and now have read your prayers for boys. My son and I are 3.5 hrs. Away from each other. He is in college. He is in ministry and so busy. He is 21 and wants a girlfriend so bad. I pray for him to keep his journey overseas safe, and for him to always remember first things first. He has so much Bible knowledge. It was always just me and him under God’s wing against the world. I miss him so much. I want to pray for my prayer to be bold for him and for him to be wise even while attending a Christian college. I pray that the evil one will stay away from him and me as we journey to heaven’s gate. I pray that God puts a loving Christian girl in his life who will support him and whom he can shower blessings on as he has done to all those who know and love him. Thank you. I am kinda new to proverbs 31 ministries and the joy my heart has gotten from it is so appreciated!!!

43. Marcia says

Thank you for the list of prayers. I have an adult son who is married, has 3 boys and lives in Japan. I was a single mom who raised my children to love the Lord, and did everything to make Jesus real and personal to them. Daily prayer, worship, and singing around the piano (we are a musical family) were a part of our daily routine. He wanted to become a minister at one point in college until his best friend who was studying for the ministry was killed in a car accident one year before graduation. After that he lost faith in the existence of God. He transferred to a public college and began studying Philosophy, then embraced it wholeheartedly so that he is a confirmed atheist now. Breaks my heart, especially too because he is not raising his sons to know God, and doesn’t allow me to teach them or mention God’s name to them. I no longer debate with him over the existence of God for the most part. I just show him love as always, and pray continually for his soul. We do our best as mothers, and have to leave the rest to God. He alone knows just what it will take to bring him around. I don’t pray that he will have a life of ease and comfort. Instead, I pray for the kind of trial that will turn him back to God, no matter the cost. Please remember him in your prayers. His name is Michael. Thank you.

44. Stephanie says

Thanks for sharing these prayers and scriptures.
    My sister shared the prayers for daughters and then I found this link at bottom for sons. I have a teenage daughter and teenage son who lack the maturity and life experiences to make all of the right decisions but yet they feel they are “grown” and know more than we do. I am a christian woman and have been praying for them. I feel so sad and heartbroken. My children didn’t come home last night.
    Thank you for sharing these scriptures I will read them and remember them in my prayers for my children. I need these reminders because I know I am weak and I am not God and God is our father and he loves our children more than we do. Sometimes it is easy to forget that he loves our babies more than we do. I have to remember and think about it like that.
    Thanks!

45. Hanna says

My son was a missionary for 10 years in a third world country, saving children from slavery. He finally confessed that he has been a hopeless sex addict for 25 years and has never been faithful to his wife. He has abandoned his wife, children, family, friends and faith. He says his condition is hopeless and God is dead. He feels that God condemned him to hell when he was born. He has given up. He has surrendered himself to an evil worldly lifestyle. I will not give up on him. I continue to plead for his soul. Right now it seems like he in my enemy, but I know who the real enemy is.
    Lord, whatever it takes…bring my son back to You.

46. Anna says

My son is 24 years old and suffers from mental illness, anger issues and is co-dependant. He also has a blood illness called ITP. I pray for him daily to seek God in his life. I pray that God takes the demons and negative things out of his life and replaces them with His love and peace. He and is his girlfriend are constantly fighting. I pray that if God has chosen her to be his wife that He help guide them in their journey. If He has not chosen her I pray that they both go their separate ways and find happiness and love. They are being evicted for the 2nd time in 6 months. This time around after 2 months they are being evicted again for yelling and arguing. I pray that God takes this anger out of them. They are to young to be so angry. Please pray for my son Vincent. I want him to be a righteous man. I know in my heart he is capable. He needs prayer.

How beautiful!!

My son is in the hospital out of state and when I google I found you and the prayers are just right beautiful. Thank you

Please put me on the list for the book.
    Thank you.

48. bertie says

Hello,
    Thank You for the encouraging prayers.
    You can be assured that your prayers will be answered if you truely believe that God will do so.
    Having had a difficult relationship with my son for a long time i placed my trust in Jesus and his blessed mother and now all is well thank God.