Wednesday, January 15

10 Prayers For Your Son

Last week I wrote about prayers for your marriage. There was such a response, I decided this week to have my friend Brooke McGlothlin write a guest post on 10 prayers for your son. (On Friday I’ll be posting 10 prayers for your daughter.)

Here’s my friend, Brooke…

He looks at me with a “heels dug in” kind of glare. I know if I said, “the sky is blue on a sunny day” he would try to prove me wrong.

Sometimes, I don’t feel like we’re on the same team anymore, my son and I, and it breaks my heart.

On days like today, when he’s arguing with everything I say and trying his eight-year-old best to do things his way, it seems I’m fighting against him—like there’s a war going on in my house between me and my son, and a distance between us I want to bridge no matter the cost.

I know from my education that this process of differentiation is pretty normal. Boys ache for independence from mama, and feel ready to “boldly go where no man has gone before.” They want to be strong, assert their opinions, and explore their own ideas. Unfortunately, at the McGlothlin Home for Boys, we’re living in the in-between season— where ideas abound before they are mature enough to handle the responsibilities that go along with those ideas.

And so we butt heads.

Sometimes, I’m tempted to let our circumstances tell me my son is the enemy—he’s the one I’m fighting. But then I remember…

“For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” Ephesians 6:12 ESV

When the days of mothering grow long, and make a girl weary, and when what you really want to do is lock your son up in his room and throw away the key, it’s good to remember this:

He’s not your enemy. But there is an enemy.

That’s right, our sons have a real enemy—one that wants to kill, steal and destroy them (John 10:10)—but that enemy, according to the Word of God, has an opponent himself that’s a force to be reckoned with.

You.

Me. Any mother who’s willing to get on her knees and cry out for the heart of her son.

James 5:16 says, “the prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with” (The Message).

The best way a mom can enter the battle for the heart of her son is on her knees, so let’s start fighting for him right now.

10 Prayers For Your Son

10 Powerful Prayers to Help You Fight for the Heart of Your Son

1. Create in my son a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within him (Psalm 51:10).

2. May my son walk after You, God, and fear You and keep Your commandments and obey Your voice. May he serve You and hold fast to You (Deuteronomy 13:4).

3. May my son be strong and courageous and not fear or be in dread, for it is You, Lord, our God, who goes with him. You will never leave him or forsake him (Deuteronomy 31:6).

4. May my son walk before You, God, as King David walked, with integrity of heart and uprightness, doing according to all that You have commanded him and keeping Your statutes and rules (1 Kings 9:4).

5. Like Timothy, may my son be an example to believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity (1 Timothy 4:12).

6. May my son listen to the way of wisdom and be led in the paths of uprightness (Proverbs
4:11).

7. Lord, be with my son in trouble; rescue him and honor him (Psalm 91:5).

8. May my son honor his father and mother… (Ephesians 6:2).

9. May my son have love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith (1 Timothy 1:5).

10. May my son think on whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is commendable; if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, may he think about these things (Philippians 4:8).

———————-

Thank you, Brooke, for this beautiful list of Scriptural prayers!

Praying for Boys

Brooke McGlothlin has a new book called Praying for Boys: Asking God for the Things They Need Most. It’s an insightful and much needed book for all moms of boys. Click here for more details.

And today, Brooke is giving away 5 copies of Praying for Boys! To win, leave a comment below telling us what prayer you are praying for your son(s).

sister G says:

I have a teenage boy of 17 yrs old. I found this side today because he has been struggling with stubborness not coping at school. Since he started school he has failed 3 grades. He is repeating gr 9 and he is not coping ,recently found that he is taking dagga. The father is an alcohlic also smokes dagga. It is very bad but I trust in the Lord with aLl my heart and I hoping that they will both get delivered. Thank for this site.

• 1025

Sister, I tell you that I prayed for your son today. I pray God will use your son and his father to show God’s Glory in our world. Be in the peace of God. Bless you.

My 15 year old son sometimes thinks he’s the king of his sports team. (He is a very good athlete.) But…he just offended his coach who thought my son was being disrespectful.

I did not see the exchange. But am praying my son understands…he needs to show respect by all his body language. And if he is not intending disrespect, he needs to make sure his body language is not sending a different message.

He also sometimes struggles with high school. He is very smart but still struggles in two classes (The teachers agree – he is smart but…he still has to do the work.)

Somehow, he doesn’t have as much confidence and drive with doing schoolwork than with athletics.

I also pray he remembers YOU at this time, Lord. All his strength comes from You.

My 21 year old son is filled with self hatred and believes nothing can help. His mom left when he was 13 and moved a thousand miles away. I run a business that fell on hard times and it took all my energy to save. I mourn these 7 years for my wife back and my 21 year old to be who he was to be before catastrophe struck. My son does not believe in The Lord and has been involved in drugs. Please pray for him, please.

Winifred says:

I was having concerns about the behaviour of my 8 year old son who is in grade 3. An intelligent boy, he is easily influenced by his class mates and i have noticed that he has been very lazy at school which i hope is not because he is bored. I’ve tried at home to be more patient with him but everything he does seems to annoy me. I find myself calling him names and it hurts me. I know and believe that positive affirmations on my son will bear fruit but as a mother i feel helpless sometimes. I would like him to show more pride in how he carry’s himself and the work he does in school and at home.. The teachers are not helpful in the way that i expect them to be and i don’t rely on them but am praying that God in his wisdom will help my son to improve in his behaviourat school and at home.

• 1029

I was completely blown away by your comment because it was as if you wrote it on my behalf. Please pray for me and my son, Joshua. Our stories are so identical that I don’t even know what to say.

Please. Help me pray for my son who life needs to Chang pray pray for him Yancy l Johnson. He has a good Hart

My 19 year-old son was just recently diagniosed with Bipolar disorder. He has been in the hospital 3 times in the last 6 months, and. refuses to take medication. It’s as though he is possessed, and is very delusional. He cannot be reasoned with, I am lost and so afraid for him… Need prayers for finding the right treatment and a miracle from God to help me get him going in the right direction. Doctors and facilities have not helped, I am overwhelmed with sadness for my son as well as all the people and families that live with this hellish disorder. Thank-you and God Bless.

• 1033

My son is also 19 diagnosed Bipolar. He refused to go to school anymore when he was 16. Doesnt want to do anything. Sleeps all day and is up all night. When he sees me all he does is beg for money and then blows up if i dont give it to him. That is the only time he talks to me or is home when I’m home, to beg for money. I know he wants it to buy drugs and aclohol. Pray for my son and i will pray for yours.

Hayley Jacobs says:

I am praying that my son be delivered from a demonic spirit passed to him from his father which has caused him to get into trouble. He is also very disobedient but God says he has assigned a HUGE angel to him and that I would see a change. Thank you, Jesus

Pleas pray my sons…to much to say but we need a healn n all generational curses Be broke in the name of Jesus thank you

August Rose says:

Please pray for my son Ronald. Since he left for college he has forgotten who he really is and his love for the Lord is not where
    it used to be. He smokes marijuana and he is dating a young lady that is not of God for his life. Pray deliverrance and healing and that he return to the Lord with his whole heart.

Kimberly Parker says:

My son now has kids… but I am raising 2 of my daughters kids… Praying my son stops drinking and sets a good example for his daughter… Praying he starts going to church and raising his daughter to know God.

Tina Hutchinson says:

I have 4 children, 3 of which are boys. I ask that you please pray for my oldest son, Jason whom is 28 yrs old. He has been struggling with drug addiction for over 10 years. I ask for strength for myself as a mother as this just crushes your heart and for many other parents going through this same pain. I ask that the lord would tug at these hearts and give them the desire to come to him and want to live their lives for the lord and ask him for the the strength and courage they need to overcome their addictions.

Please pray for my precious Brandon who is incarserated in Bay County Jail in Panama City. Satan is really try to destroy his life. PLEASE stand with me in prayet thst. Our precious father God in heaven will have sweet mercy. Brandon is a child of God. But like some of us drift sometimes. I am in GA and he is 8 hours away. I can’t go visit just yet. Pray for Our God to love and protect and put a hedge of protection round about him. I’m saddened by him being away
    My heart aches so bad sometime’s I feel like I’m shutting down. God gave me this son and I am trying to do my best giving him direction. Now I put him solely in Our maker’s hands so he can mold and fashion him. And Polish him.. Thank you father God in Jesus precious name. I love you Lord. I thank you whole heart6

My heart aches so bad sometime’s I feel like I’m shutting down. God gave me this son and I am trying to do my best giving him direction. Now I put him solely in Our maker’s hands so he can mold and fashion him. And Polish him.. Thank you father God in Jesus precious name. I love you Lord. I thank you whole heartedly. Amen and Amen. Lord also please touch and solve every post of These humble peiple crying out for your help. Give then patience and peace until you finish your work. In Jesus name. AMEN.

Lysa, you have been so good to share with us your stories, I thought I’d share something that took my heart off guard the other day. Right now I am reading “Am I Messing Up My Kids” as my Bible study (a chapter a day). I am a pastor’s wife, and have been for 13 years. Our kiddos know Jesus, know the Word, and are at church every time the doors are open. The son who sparked this comment is an all-around straight-A, athletic, great kid. He never gives us trouble, just runs us ragged with all that he’s involved in. But the other day, I saw a side of this precious son that I didn’t know what to do with.

I found the following written by my 14 year old (remember: this is the child who never causes us trouble):

“This is my detention summary. I shouldn’t even be here. I got a detention for an iligitimate reason, if asking a question is a bad reason for a detention. Food. I don’t like detention, although I don’t come here often. You’re probably thinking about not even reading this, I wouldn’t care. So I am writing this. I am sorry for asking a simple question Mrs. Marking, I will never ask a question again. Pro tip – tell the kids what definition to write down, so they don’t get a dention when they ask.”

And guess what day I was on in the Bible study? Yep…WHY DO I FEEL THAT IT’S MY FAULT WHEN MY CHILD MESSES UP?

Thank you for your encouragement, and staying on that momma’s path with the rest of us. As a pastor’s wife, I feel like our children have a higher standard to uphold. But with your help, I’m focusing more on them than what others think. Thank you for that! Special blessings to you and your crew. I enjoy the blogs, devos, books, videos, Bible studies, and most of all the honesty you all show.

In His Grip til We’re in Glory!

nledesma51981@yahoo.com says:

I pray that my sons stay close to God and reverence him and desire more of him each day and live to please him.:)

Robyn Myers says:

I have a teenage son who recently went to a youth conference “Dare 2 Share”. So I’m praying this for him: Like Timothy, may my son be an example to believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity (1 Timothy 4:12). My son is very quiet, but very sweet. I pray that he would have the boldness to share his faith to those around him.

We are a military family constantly facing deployments and moves. I pray my son can adjust accordingly and understand why his daddy has to be gone so much, “protecting airplanes.” He’s three so we try to put it in terms he’ll understand. I pray he’s not resentful of the life we chose for ourselves and chose to bring him into. I pray he will be brave in the face of loneliness and choose to put himself out there even if we’re only in a spot for a short time. I pray his dad is protected, safe and always comes home. In Jesus’s name, amen.

I am a single divorced Christian mom. My son is Jake…almost 15 yrs old. Tough age!!! He has christ in his heart but his father is of the world. I pray for my son to be convicted of Gods truth that he knows. (He is saved) and be repulsed by any ungodliness. His father resides with the girlfriend so there are no morals or values there. I am emotionally exhausted and surrender my son to the Holy Spirit Daily… Sometimes a few times a day. I know God is there but at times I feel like no one can back me up. It’s just me ( tangibly speaking). He is seeing things modeled in his fathers home that go against gods word and at times he justifies his fathers actions. I am praying for an independent and authentic relationship with Christ for him and to do Gods will. I am Asking for my son to clearly see all of the talents God has placed in him and to stop people pleasing his dad. I feel there is some real Co- dependency there. Thank you

• 1048
      Jennifer says:

I prayed for you – keep strong momma! With God’s help you are doing an amazing job!M

Please pray for my 20 year old son. After many turbulent years, he has decided to move out and will do so in a week. I had him young and worked hard to give him a life with everything. I made the mistake of envisioning my son’s early adult years. That was MY imagination. Reality is harsh and painful and different. I still believe that deep down he is still my sweet child but on the outside bad company, drinking, smoking, and even marijuana has him in a haze of fun. He decided he wants his freedom and I want him to be independent. I just cant stop blaming myself for all the mistakes I made and the actual detachment is heart wrenching. I know people are saying ‘let him go’ , ‘cut the cord’ ‘he happy’ but I am just saddened that he didnt complete any college, has no car and no real accomplishment. The saddest thing of all is that he has fallen away from his Christian upbringing. I don’t know if he says he doesnt believe to irritate and hurt me or because he truly doesnt believe anymore. Please pray for him and all young people in this YOLO lifestyle and for me too—I am having a horrible time with this. I feel like my world is falling apart. I pray constantly but for the first time in my life I feel no strength from prayer. I realize everything will be ok in the end but I feel I am losing my only son who, besides Christ, has been the center of my being for 20 years.

pray for my kids please so all will be will with my familyin jesus name

pray for my kids please so all will be will with my familyin jesus name pray for my kids to be with me for dismonth

Hi Lysa, Thanks for these prayers but what about adult children praying for their elderly parents? Can you provide some prayers for those of us who are struggling with caring for or living with our parents? Thank you.

Please pray for my son that he is covered in the blood of Jesus and is of sound mind for all of his days and that the stronghold that has deceived him for so long is removed from his life. My son is now 24, has 666 tattooed on his chest, has lived and is continuing to intoxicate himself daily with LSD, mushrooms and prescription drugs deluded that these are his only friends in the world. Father I pray that he receives the miracle required to fight the addictions and that your plan and purpose for his life is for him to know joy and your love so he might be a light to others that have found themselves so lost and lonely in this world.

I have two boys, 4 and 1yrs, and I pray that I am able to raise them to love an respect God and be faithful believers in Him the way that I was raised and to always think about pleasing God with their actions as I know the hard times and pressures that are going to come to them as they grow up. I pray that they are able to stand strong in their faith and remember that He is always with them and that they can do anything with Him no matter what obstacles they may face. I pray that they grow up to be gentlemen who always remember their roots and where they come from and that no matter how far they be from home God is always there with them. My 4 yrs old says his prayers nightly and prays for rain and things like that and I pray that he continues to grow in his faith in God.

Loretta Hansen says:

I like your page but would like to email you for more privacy and hope it will not be a problem! Thank you.

wanda williams says:

Much needed at this time

This site is so inspirational! I find joy in knowing that we as parents are reaching out for guidance, comfort, grace and mercy; and showing unconditional love for our children. As our sons and daughters continue to experience life, may we lean and depend on God to lead them and guide them. God bless these young people and dwell in their mind and their hearts. May they stand for the light…the light of the world! Amen

Dear All,

An in pain mother of a 14 yr old, raised him alone. He has been abandoned and rejected by men for so many years. He just wants to sit in a dark basement and play video games. Counselors, therapists, psychiatrists and now his college money used for a 30 day stay in a Christian program – all to no avail. i now confess and proclaim that Jesus whom he accepted as his Lord and Savior is in charge. Jesus saves my son. Jesus keeps us encouraged and free from bondage to all that is not of God. I confess His Holy Spirit reigns in both my son and I and determines our thoughts, words and actions for this day, today. No matter what the natural man senses, God is the Truth. His Holy Word has Limitless Power over us. Thank you Jesus. Thank you Lord. I proclaim this for all the Mothers reading this site and pray they bring their concerns to your bloodied feet, leave them at the Cross and Walk in Your Courage. AMEN!!!!!!

Jessica says:

Please pray for Isaiah Thomas. Lord I thank you for bringing Isaiah into the world. Please keep him close to you so that he may do your will and act according to your pleasure. Please show him how to use his pain and difficulty to feel compassion for and serve others. Lord I ask you to make him an example of your love, strength, and way of life. All things o ask only if they be your will. Amen