1.17.2014

10 Prayers For Your Daughter

There is something I’ve come to realize I need to guard against as a mom. I sometimes want to be God in my kids’ lives.

I want to write their stories.

I want to set the courses of their futures.

I want to determine what’s best for them.

I want to prevent them from ever being hurt.

I want to be their provider and protector.

And I want to be the one to set anyone straight who messes with my kids.

Can you relate on any level? I think most moms can. We love these people entrusted to us more than we ever knew possible. And despite all the infant sleepless nights, toddler tantrums, tween eye rolling, and the teen decisions that break our heart slap in two… they are ours. To love. To lead. To launch.

And we want to make it all good.

But then things happen so beyond our control we eventually have to face the reality that we aren’t God. And we can’t operate like we are.

So what do we do with that gap where our mommy capabilities end and trusting God begins? I want to trust God with everything beyond my control with my kids but it’s so scary. It feels so risky.

And scary and risky are two words us moms don’t want as part of our kids’ lives.

So, how do we deepen our trust in God? How do we make peace with the limits of what we can and cannot protect them from? What do we do with the risky and scary feelings that can make a mom lose sleep at best and feel crazed with fear at worst?

We must fill that gap with the only thing that bridges the space between our limitations and our trust in God… prayer.

I know, I know – that can sound like such a cliché Christian answer. Typical. Too hyper-spiritual. Not the answer we want sometimes.

But prayer is the only possibility with real possibility.

Earlier this week my friend, Brooke McGlothlin, wrote an article I posted on Scriptural prayers for boys. Today, I want to post some specific Scriptural prayers for our girls.

I’ve prayed these and I’ve seen amazingly powerful things happen in the lives of my daughters.

I can still fret and worry and want to mess with anyone who messes with my girls.

My girls still make mistakes, and cross lines, and give the principal reasons to call me.

But where would we all be if the power of prayer wasn’t in the mix of our lives?

And what might these prayers be working out for their futures that I won’t see for years to come?

Yes, prayer is the only possibility with real possibility. And that brings me to the place where I can finally say… “Hello, my name is Mom. Not God.”

10 Prayers For Your Daughter

10 Powerful Prayers to Help You Fight for the Heart of Your Daughter:

1. Give my daughter a deep desire to listen to You, Lord, and pray often, “What message does my Lord have for his servant?” (Joshua 5:14b).

2. Let her learn early in life that to obey You, God, is the best way to the life her heart truly desires, (1 Samuel 15:22).

3. May she find comfort in Your ability, God, to reach her, hold her, and rescue her, (2 Samuel 22:17-18).

4. May she please You, Lord, by desiring, asking for, and utilizing a discerning heart full of wisdom, (1 Kings 3:9-12).

5. Let her find confidence in You, God, even when hard times come and she doesn’t know what to do, by keeping her eyes fixed on You, (2 Chronicles 20:12).

6. Give her a great desire to accept Your word, God, and store up Your commands within her so her ears will turn to Your wisdom, (Proverbs 2:1-2).

7. May she keep herself under control and not give full vent to people and situations that anger her, (Proverbs 29:11).

8. Give her the ability to rise above the traps of people pleasing so she can be kept safe by trusting You, Lord, (Proverbs 29:25).

9. Let her walk in the security of Your assigned worth to her. Give her a strong work ethic and health to accomplish all her tasks. Give her a heart that desires to extend her hand to those in need. Protect her for the right husband, a man of respect and godly honor. And let her be a woman of joy and laughter whose Christ-centered character is what makes her most beautiful, (Proverbs chapter 31).

10. And every time you, Jesus, whisper, “Follow me” she does so with great grace, (Matthew 4:19).

Today, I’m giving five commenting blog friends a copy of the book I wrote with my daughter, What Happens When Young Women Say Yes to God. To enter, leave a comment below.

(For “10 Powerful Prayers to Help You Fight for the Heart of Your Son” click here.)

Comments

1. Suzanna says

Thank you, Lysa! These are great and, as always, timely. I totally tend to be a protective mama-bear for my children and need to learn to just be a mom who trusts The Lord with her children, not a mom, who has to take over God’s job. I have a 3-year old little girl and a 4-month old baby-boy, so I’m going to check out the prayers for sons too. Never too early to start praying for your children! I also agree with one of the posts below, I can totally apply these prayers for myself too (and other ladies in my life that I dearly love). Thanks again!

Yes, I do see myself in your comments. I raised one son and two girls and wanted to be all things in all situations to them. Sadly, (or not so sadly), that was not the case. I now have three grandsons and three grand daughters and am making a copy of the prayers you have stated and plan to use them in my prayers for my precious grandchildren. Thank you for a wonderful blog.

3. Myra says

I need to start praying specific prayers for my two daughters (2 and almost 4 y/o’s) and two sons (4 mos. old and almost 6 y/o) DAILY. Need to be intentional. Thank you for these prayers and Scripture references.

Blessings!

4. Wimberly Grove says

Thank you Lisa. I am so grateful for the Lord’s leading and the obedience to read your Blog, today. The prayers for our sons and daughters are sweet gifts for me especially know. As a mom, mother-in-law and grand mom of unbelivers, I have desperately needed God’s encouragement and He has done so, always faithful, through your Blog, today. How grateful I am to you and all the Godly women at proverbs 31. Many blessings to you all. Wimberly

5. Karen says

Thank you for your “REAL” devotions! They are always something I can relate to and they are such an encouragement!

6. Wendy says

Lysa, These prayers are exactly what I need to pray, exactly what my daughter needs, exactly what I need, exactly at the right time. To get my eyes off situations and circumstances, and onto our all powerful and knowing and good and loving God. Thank you!

7. Suzanne says

Thanks for sharing these prayers. We moms need all the tools we can get to raise our daughters to become godly young women.

8. Jennifer says

I am so thankful to see these scriptures. It is what I need. I have two girls 8 and 11 – who turned 11 in January. And although I know my sweet 11 yr old is still somewhere inside her, I can’t believe how quickly in the last few months she has changed. Teen years came faster than I expected. And she is only in fifth grade… I am just so thankful that almost every night both girls come to us before bedtime and ask that we all pray together. I make sure I drop what I chore I might be doing before bed and pray with them. My husband does too. So no matter what mood the pre-teen is in at least I know she knows God is the head of our family. When I was a teen I always woke up to my mom watching Kenneth Copeland on TV. Looking back I see where she always covered us in prayer. I need to change and start my day in prayer rather than end it.

9. Robbie Green says

Wow. That’s all I can say. A friend of mine sent this to me today, and it could not have been more on time. After reading those prayers, I am wondering if Lysa has a camera in my house. But, it just goes to show that moms that truly care about the well being of their daughters face similar struggles. Thanks for confirmation and reassurance that “prayer is the only possibility with possibility!” I love that! I often describe those gaps when you have to trust and pray like jumping off a cliff with your eyes closed. You just have to trust that God will catch you and keep you. Thank you soooooo much for these prayers. I will use them daily.

10. Linda Donewar says

Beautiful prayers that I will add to my daily prayers for my daughter. Thank You Lysa! She is 22 and struggling with the difficulties of life, but I KNOW my father in heaven is watching and waiting for that day when she HEARS the whispers of Jesus! I must only be still, be vigilant in prayer and patient with His plan.

11. Kim says

I have a 15 yr old who is still struggling from a long distance move we made over the summer. It has affected her grades and she still wants to return to her home state. It feels like things continue to go downhill, and I also see her struggling with her faith. I’ve said all I know to say to bring her to her knees and put God first. Your post could not have come at a better time!

12. Karen says

These scriptures are an answered prayer for me. I struggle with doing and being what
    my 10 year old daughter needs. I know she is a gift to me from God and I need to
    trust Him as she is His child. Thanks for these wonderful scriptures. In praying them
    already this morning I felt the peace of God’s presence. Learning to let go and let God
    can be difficult. I will pray these scriptures faithfully for my daughter and will also share
    them with friends who have daughters already grown and still being raised. Thank you
    for all you do and share. You are a blessing.

13. Connie says

From my heart, to God’s ears , to your heart and thoughts, to my friend, to my email, to my eyes, to my heart to my prayer. So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return to me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thingwhereto I sent it. (Isaiah 55:11).

14. Connie says

From my heart, to God’s ears , to your heart and thoughts, to your blog, to my friend, to my email, to my eyes, to my heart, to my prayer. So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return to me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thingwhereto I sent it. (Isaiah 55:11).

15. remi says

I thank you so much for the prayer for boys. My son and I are always arguing but today I got the answer instead of me being a mum I wanted to be God. Please pray with me he is in trouble but I know my God Is more than able!!!!!

• Kim Sumner says

Remi, that is how my daughter and my relationship is. She is 24 and 2 sons of her own now. Living a life not good for herself or them. I have custody of her oldest and then she had another son. She has him and I am in constant worry over her and the man she is with. But if she were not with this man it would be another till she decides she is better than what she is currently living. She is in trouble and doesn’t care. It is extremely hard to watch her destroy her life. But we as their parents have to fully rely on God. He will take care of them along the way. We don’t see it. But I know my God’s grace is sufficient and HE will handle her situation in His time and not mine. I have to remind myself that He is the one in control…Not me. Prayers for you and your son.

16. Mary says

Thank you so much Lysa! I prayed it for my daughter, who just had a baby. And I also prayed it for myself! Thank you for the words. Sometimes, its hard to come up with the best words to pray to Jesus. You’ve truly helped. Much appreciated. God Bless.

17. Beth Parris says

Raising 5 girls on my own since the death of their Father I find myself on my knees literally or in my heart praying for God to guide me so that I will guide them in the right direction. Prayer seems to be the only thing that brings me comfort even when the days are long and I am weak I know my God has us in the palm of his hand

18. Sherry says

Thank you so much for these well needed verses as I struggle with a strong willed 15 year daughter. She struggles in who she is a person versus following others as examples. I pray she finds herself through the learning of Jesus!

• Sharon Knight says

God bless to you Sherry & to you daughter. I too have a very strong willed 15 year old who thinks she knows the friends she should hang with opposed to the ones I know she shouldn’t. She loves Christ & has given her life to Him, and I pray she remembers He is ALWAYS with her & not to conform to this world (& peer pressure) that seems to be farther away from Christ as never before. As I pray for my daughters I will also prayer for yours.

19. Waynell says

My daughter is a senior in HS and will be leaving for college in the fall. She is a godly young woman, but I must continue to pray over her. She will be away from home in a new place with new people surrounding her and I pray that she finds the right kind of friends and that she will continue to be bold and stand for Christ in everything she does. I pray for that hedge of protection around her, that she will not conform to the world but be the salt and light wherever she goes.

20. Kristal S. says

Lysa: Thank you for giving us these 10 prayers to pray over our daughters. I have 2 daughters, and I will pray over them every day. It is very hard for me not to be the “mama-bear” and try to protect and shelter my girls from danger, or anything that comes against them. However, that is NOT my job, it is God’s job to protect them. I have to surrender my girls to God and allow Him to have full control. Thanks again for your blog and the encouraging words!

21. Sylvia Munana says

What a timely Word for this mamma of 3 girls and 1 son. My two oldest, a daughter and my son are married. My youngest is 24 and will be married on June 20-2014. My Alyssa Rose is 25 and was engaged this February 14 to the man God used to show her what love is and how a man should love his woman. Devin is a Godly man and went home to be with Jesus on February 28 2014. We was laid to rest yesterday in Sapulpa, Ok. She has asked and asked so many questions a few I can answer, most I am not able. And as her Mom I struggled and wrestled with not being able to answer her. But then I read… Hello my name is Mom. Not God.” Thank you for this timely word. I know just as my daughter knows she will write her story at the appointed TIME!

22. Karen says

Your statement “you are not God” startled me; yes took my breath away. Because that is just what God is gently and consistently teaching me. Only, my children are not in their cribs, but in their thirties/forties. God continues to remind me “I’ve got this, just trust me.”

Thank you for being another vehicle God is using to teach this slow learning, tenaciously wanna be spiritual guide of adult children.

23. sharon wise says

Lysa, I have a daughter that loves the Lord and is all grown up now. She is single, living alone, and her heart longs for God to intersect her life with a godly man. Her dreams that she would one day be a mother are slipping away. I hope to encourage her to trust in His greater plan and His timing. Thank you for the ministering resources you make available that are so greatly needed by women of all ages. My two adult christian sons also need to put their lives in the center of God’s calling and follow with obedience.
    Bless You always

24. Gail says

I have a male friend who is a single dad raising a 10 year old daughter. This was a really trying week for him and I passed these prayers along to him. Thank you so much for being an instrument used by God to feed his people and allow us to lead and encourage one another.

25. Leah says

Thank you for this. I will print these and laminate them so I can place them in my room to help me be ever mindful of my need to constantly and
    consistently pray for my daughter.

26. Sharon Knight says

Lysa, I just want to say “Thank You” for this article & these prayers for our daughters. I have a 25 year old married daughter who loves the Lord with all her heart as does her husband. For that I’m very thankful to our Lord & Savior. I also have a 15 year old daughter that loves the Lord too, but we all know the struggles teenagers come in contact with & some of those are very scary…especially in today’s world.
    I am going to print this article to remind myself that I am Mom, NOT God.
    I’m also going to print the “10 Powerful Prayers to Help You Fight for the Heart of Your Daughter” & pray them everyday!! God Bless You.

27. Beverly Wisner says

Thank you, Lisa. I am always blessed by your words of encouragement. Thank you for sharing your heart and your thoughts. So often we all forget who we are and WHO GOD IS. I’m going to forward your blog to my daughter, goddaughter and daughter-in-law, all beautiful Christian women with children they’ll be praying for as we’ll.

28. Cathy Prado says

Thank you Lysa for these insightful thoughts. I will be praying them for my girl!

29. Mike Fowler says

Wow, I wish I had know how to be a better mom years ago. I just love what I have seen written here. Thank you for sharing.

30. Dusti says

Thank you so much for this post. I cannot even begin to express how grateful I am. I am tearing up just writing this. My husband and I found out a while back that, while biological children had always been in MY plans, they weren’t necessarily in God’s. It was a painful blow that took us by surprise. And after I broke down and poured my heart out to God one night, confessing my desperate desire for a daughter, He began to reveal HIS plan for our lives, one I’d honestly never considered: international adoption. Just recently, after much prayer, my husband and I decided to begin the process of adopting a child overseas. The high cost; the possibility of being rejected at some point in the process; the waiting; the inevitable delays; the overwhelming paperwork; all of it pushes me to my knees with worry, but I have found the part that frightens me the most is my inability to protect my daughter. Already she is mine, though I know nothing about her. My entire life I have been a protector. If I were given the option of a superpower, I would probably choose the gift of shielding and healing. And just knowing my daughter could be born at any moment, and I won’t be there to watch over her, hold her, make sure she’s given the proper medical care, make sure she is loved and nourished, protected and cherished, until my husband and I are able to find her and bring her home…it kills me. I cannot protect my daughter. It will probably be over a year before we know who she is, and another year or two before we’re able to bring her home. The fact that I have no control over the next three years brings tears to my eyes. Each night I fall to my knees in her bedroom and petition the King to guard His child in my absence, so this post means so much to me. I will certainly be adding these to my nightly prayers because right now, the lesson feels unbearable. But I also know God is setting the tone for my role as a mother; He teaching this fierce protector to learn to let go. I have to trust Him completely. My knees and my heart are the only thing I am able to give her right now. Her times are in His hands.

31. Kim Sumner says

I love this. My daughter and I do not see eye to eye for her life at all. I have prayed and prayed for her, hoping she comes back to the Lord. I have prayed many prayers for her and will continue to do so with these. Thank you!!

32. Theresa L says

Thank you. I worry so much about my strong willed 12 year old. She is going to make me old before my time. LOL I must remember to pray instead of worry.

33. M. Garrison says

I just now saw this post. Wish I had seen it earlier, but today is the day I needed to read it. Please pray for healing and reconciliation of the relationship between my daughter and I. I pray for her, for God to refresh her love for Him and her love for me, too. She is a wonderful mother and I pray that she will understand that “us mothers” have a lot of the same worries. None of us are perfect parents, but with God’s help, we do the best we can. But I really want her heart to find God again and then allow our relationship to be healed and all baggage released. Thank you.

34. Elizabeth Sunny says

Dear Lysa,
    I am amazed how God made me come across your prayer for the daughter. My 18 year old is going through a great deal of difficulty taking her final school leaving board exams and is aspiring to become a doctor. She wants to serve the Lord through the ministry of healing. At this juncture your prayer has grounded me with a new found assurance that ‘He’ is in charge and He takes care,no matter what. Thanks a tonne. I am also a doctor by profession and I shall definitely impart this to my students at medical school.

35. Lilian campa says

Wow I would love to read your book I need to learn better ways to help my daughter and guide her!

36. Sabrina says

Thank you Lysa. God truly uses you to say just the things I need to hear. I have been dealing with this myself.

37. Christine says

Thank you Lysa for the words. I have two beautiful daughters and pray for them all the time. They are my wonderful gift from God. I am having such a hard time letting my youngest daughter make her own choices. I ask for her to be protected in the name of Jesus. I have to trust and let God take control and know that I have given her all the tools to make the right choices in life.

38. Charles says

Thank you so much for this. it was a God-sent message, confirming that we are on the right track. Recently, we have been praying for our daughter and her current relationship. We have decided to create a vision for not only her relationship but our son’s as well; a vision concerning thier mate, the one God has sent to them. These prayers for daughter and son peak to this point.

Thank you!

39. Kristin says

Thank you so much for this. I just printed out the prayers and will go to my Bible and read the scriptures. I have 2 girls ages 3 and 5. I tend to want to be an overbearing mom and my parenting instinct is to want to protect them from everything and any harm. I know this is not possible as they grow, I have to always remember that God is in control and to trust Him with my babies. After all, they are his first and are lent to me by Him to raise them as He wants me to.

40. Meredith says

Sometimes God gives me a devotional that is just so timely. That was this one today! As a mom of 4 daughters ranging in age from 2 to teenager you are speaking straight to my heart and circumstance. Thank you for these practical, tangible, scriptural prayers. I will be using them for years to come! So grateful.

41. Cindy Pitchford says

We have a son, and when he was 10 we adopted two daughters. It was a struggle, and there were times I didn’t know if I could survive another day! God gave me the strength I needed at the times I needed, and gave us all patience to get through. We had to “fight” the demons of our daughters’ pasts and that was incredibly hard. I sometimes feel our son was “left out” because I had to spend so much time teaching our girls, but then I remember our son had a foundation in Christ that they had not been taught. I recently received a phone call from one of my girls. She said thank you for everything. When I told her I still felt like I failed, she said “no mom, you did not”. Felt good to hear that! So, no matter how hard it seems, push forward…take a deep breath and keep going! Let go of what you can’t and don’t feel guilty about it!

42. Dawn says

Thank you so much! I REALLY needed these this week…
    And anyone looking for someone to pray for… I volunteer my family… We are having some serious issues with two of our daughters 🙁

43. Amy C. says

Thank you so much for sharing these. I’m learning about how to pray “better” (not that there is a bad way) and this ties into what I am wanting to add. We have 3 awesome kids but I always hope when we aren’t right there that they can make those good God-choice decisions.

44. Margaret says

Thank you so much! So timely. This is my struggle to try to be God in their lives and in only reaps frustration for all…

45. Ang says

I’ve left this email in my inbox for weeks. Each night when I sit in my toddler’s room until she falls asleep (going through a period of fears, I open this up and choose one to pray for her and her baby sister. It has been so wonderful to pray these scriptures over my girls every night. Thank you, Lysa.

46. sebe says

Oh thank you…Im a mom of four who lives in West Africa far away from my daugters tgat ive raised alone since the death of their father…..im holding back the tears as i miss them so much and one in particular is a big challenge to guide….I will print these and use them daily to pray for my girls. Im just Mom…not God