Hi friend! Don't forget to join me tonight for the "Before Amen"
live webcast with Max Lucado. You don't want to miss this. Just
come right back here at 8PM (EST)!

Wednesday, June 12

Doing the Right Thing

If you’ve read anything about my life story you know one of the great heartbreaks of my life was my biological father’s absence.

Rejection hurts.

Especially when a little girl experiences rejection from her father; it cuts deep.  And it stings long.

But the Lord was so good to me.  When I was at the awkward age of 12 my mom met Charles. And when he proposed to my mom, he gave me a ring too. I’ll never forget that. He didn’t have to do that. But he did. Because something in his heart said it was the right thing. The rare thing. The thing a very broken 12 year old girl needed.

Charles has been in my life for 30 years. He is my dad. He is my hero.

And you know what my favorite thing about him is? No matter what, no matter how hard it might be, no matter how much it costs or inconveniences him… he’s a man who truly desires to do the right thing.

Always desiring to do the right thing even when it’s hard, is a rare thing. A rare thing indeed.

Recently, he had the chance to sell a business investment. It would have taken a huge load off of him mentally and financially.  There was a buyer. It was a good time to sell.

But selling that business would have meant putting some good people out of a job. And Dad couldn’t do that. It wasn’t the right thing. So he did the rare thing. And he passed up the deal.

When I heard about what Dad had done, there wasn’t one ounce of surprise in my heart.

And I love that.

I love that my dad is known as a man of his word. A man who will do the right thing- the rare thing.

Oh how I want to be like him.

Each day we are faced with decisions.

With some decisions, the right thing is the easy thing.

But some decisions aren’t so clear cut. The right thing isn’t the easy thing. Or, you could even justify that the right thing doesn’t seem so right in light of present circumstances.

Sometimes things are a little muddy. Complicated. Hard. Justifiable. Hidden.

But I always come back to the question my dad asks, “What is the right thing?”

And wrapped in the answer to that question are threads of a legacy that tie my heart to my dad’s. Though we don’t share the same DNA, his imprint on my heart makes me his daughter.

That love runs deep. And it lasts long.

I love you, Dad.

In honor of Father’s Day I have a fun giveaway. My friend, Rob Teigen, wrote an amazing book called 88 Great Daddy-Daughter Dates; and he’s agreed to sign and send a free copy to five randomly chosen commenters from today’s blog.  How fun!

88 Great Daddy_Cover

Just leave a comment below with a Bible verse or quote that you think is important to consider when making a decision. Or comment on a time when you had to wrestle with figuring out what the right decision to make really was, and what helped you.

I can’t wait to learn from all your fantastic wisdom today. Thanks!

Lisa, what a wonderful story. My first daughter wasn’t a daddy’s girl at all when she was young. But she is growing to respect him more. When my youngest was born 6 years ago, I actually prayed that she would be close to my husband and they’d have a close bond. And that has happened. She has always been a daddy’s girl (although she does love her mama too!) And he would do anything for her. It warms my heart that she will have an incredible example of what a man should be in her life.

What a legacy! Hebrews 10:24, “And let us consider how to spur one another on to love and good deeds.”

Heatherhobbie says:

your words remind me how blessed I am to have my Dad.He was not perfect in parenting,but was always there. The two of us are heading out on a trip fora few days and this was a wonderful way to set the tone for the trip. My father means the world to me.He always ends every conversation with,“I’m so proud of you“.

Charlene says:

Sometimes the right thing to do isn’t always easy. I try to remember these two scriptures…”love thy neighbor as thy self” and “do unto others as you would have others do unto you”. Recently my husband celebrated a birthday. At the time funds were very low. In spite of everything that we’ve been through and will go through my love runs deep for HIM. I love him just because and always will. I presented him with a card and some money. Our kids and I usually present a new clothing outfit with a card a some money. Due funds being low I just presented a card and money to him. I figured he would understand. He gave me back the money and stated he wasn’t down for formatility. How could my thoughtfulness be overlooked. He celebrated his birthday with his brothers like always. The kids and I stayed home. Whatelse could I haven done? For father’s day I plan to put steaks on the grill and prepare a nice dinner which include his favorite foods and drinks and a nice card and new outfit. I would surely like your opinion.

Thanks for this. I needed this encouragement as a father of 3 great kids!

R Bensz says:

Great article. Thanks for sharing!
    1 Cor. 16:13-14

Sonya Dudley says:

Even as a young girl, I had a giving heart, always wanting to being happiness to others, but I struggled with my own happiness. I was over weight, yet greatly under nourished. I’m not sure where I heard the saying, but I once heard, “YOU ONLY ACCEPT THE AMOUNT OF LOVE YOU THINK YOU DESERVE”. I Allowed my weight, the dyslexia, ADD, my loneliness and feelings of UNWORTHINESS to consume me for many years and truthfully…I still struggle with some of those things. But God has called me to follow him, so I know that he will prepare the way. I just have to stay focused on him!!
    The ONE OF MANY things I owe to my earthly father…..he taught me to have determination….to NEVER GIVE UP!!! My own father has dyslexia and doesn’t read well, but HE HAS HIS MASTER’S DEGREE!!!!! He did this by my mother going with him to take his exam and reading it out loud to him, while other grown men looked on as he took his exam. WOW..what an example!!!!!! HE IS MY HERO!
    He has built beautiful schools and government buildings, homes. He is so smart! He inspires me to do my best!
    Seven years ago, God showed me that I was created in HIS IMAGE and that HE was in love with me!! In that I have learned that no matter what I may have to over come in life, that GOD CAN USE ME!!! I just have to be open to whatever he calls me to.

Psalm 45:11
    The king is enthralled by your beauty, honor him, for he is your lord.

Happy Father’s Day to both of my dads and thanks for loving me for just who I am.

Ivette Rodriguez says:

Hello God bless you sister. I found your website by hearing your Mother’s Day message on elevation and was curious to learn more about you. You message had me crying in healing tears from the beginning to the end. It’s ironic that today is Father’s Day and I read ur article n I’m pierced again by the Holy Spirit of the area of rejection that is embedded in me at the lost of not having a father who rejected that amazing role in my life. And yet your words bring healing once more, as a child at the time you don’t understand. What is wrong with me? Why was I not good enough or worth the time? And then we encounter a God who desires to complete us. I’m in that process still. I will admit, learning to allow His completeness in my life but my children also have a stepfather who has loved them n reading your article showed me how much of an impact he is to them. Today I will share that with him so he can know we appreciate him so much. god bless yo all

Dads ate truly Gods gift! Happy Fathers day to the greatest dad above them all! Daddy God! 1 Thes 1:2-3

Much love from, Dubai! Xoxo

Lisa,thank you for sharing your heart. I pray that I can forgive my dad. I dont really speak to him at thus point in my life. I am glad you are sharing your heart with others. I just want to praise the dads who step up to the plate and are man enough to be good dads.

Jennifer S. says:

Lysa, thank you for sharing…my favorite is Proverbs 31:25 (NLT) “She is clothed in strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.”

Lysa, thank you for being transparent. Your transparency has been a tower of strength for me. Call our sins sin, admit our short-comings, confess and ask God for his grace, mercy & forgiveness. I also bathe in the scripture that Jennifer penned in Prov. 31:25(NLT) “She is clothed in strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.” God’s abundant blessings to you & your family!

My dad and I never really had a chance to know each other one on one, my step-mom passed away and then I went through a divorce, so this last Dec I took a trip out to see him and I honestly can say it was the first time in my life that we actually had quality time together, I had put aside the things that my mom and aunt told me and went to visit him with an open mind and full of prayer and I am so great full for the time that I had with him then and will have in the future!

MuskieNurse says:

Thank you for sharing. My dad has always been my best friend. He is far from perfect but he tries everyday to do what is best. There was a bomb threat at my school and he immediately jumped in his car and drove just to make sure I was okay. He is one of the most honest men I know.