Friday, April 19

Friday Favorites: Healthy Summer Recipes

It’s time for my Friday favorites once again! This week we’re going to talk about some easy, healthy meals that my husband, kids and I absolutely love to have for our family dinner nights.

One requirement to continue reading past this point is that you keep an open mind to the recipes I’m about to give, okay? Okay.

Pizza with Cauliflower Crust {Thanks to Closet Cooking for this photo!}

First up, BBQ chicken pizza with a cauliflower crust. Remember, open mind! It sounds like the strangest thing ever, I know. I can only imagine what my face looked like when my sweet friend Laci first introduced me to this interesting food choice, but I promise you it is delicious. And it’s healthy. A win-win!

Here’s the recipe so you can try it for yourself…

1/2 Large head of cauliflower (= 2+ cups of shredded cauliflower)
1 Large egg
1 Cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
1 Teaspoon of oregano
1/2 Teaspoon of dried minced garlic (or fresh garlic)
1/2 Teaspoon of onion salt

To make the crust:

1. Shred the cauliflower into small crumbles. You can use a food processor, just be careful not to puree. I use a cheese grater and it works fine. You will need 2+

cups of cauliflower crumbles. Place the cauliflower crumbles into a large bowl and microwave them dry for 8 minutes. Let the cauliflower cool.

2. Prepare the crust: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a cookie sheet or pizza pan with non-stick spray. In a medium bowl, mix the cauliflower crumbles with the remaining ingredients. Pat the “crust” into a 9 to 12 – inch round shape or a rectangular shape on the prepared pan. Spray the crust lightly with nonstick spray and bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Remove the crust from the oven and turn the heat up to broil.

3. Prepare the Pizza: Decide what toppings you want on your pizza. I chose to make BBQ chicken Pizza (see topping recipe below.) Top the crust with the barbecue chicken mixture, add red onion and top with cheese. Broil the pizza for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the toppings are hot and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with fresh cilantro. Cut and serve immediately.

This pizza is best served on a plate with a fork.

For the BBQ chicken topping:

1/2 Cup barbecue sauce
1 Cup cooked, shredded chicken breast
3/4 Cup shredded Gouda cheese (you can use mozzarella or any kind of cheese you
like – Gouda goes well with BBQ Chicken)
Thinly sliced red onions
Fresh cilantro

You can really tailor this recipe to whatever kind of pizza your family likes – pepperoni, veggie, extra cheese, etc.

And then for dessert… drum roll, please… avocado chocolate ice cream!

Avocado Ice-Cream {Thanks to Vegan Culinary Crusade for this photo!}

Y’all. I don’t know about you, but when someone tells me there’s a healthy way to get some chocolate into my system, my excitement level rises. I love chocolate. My family loves chocolate. This is perfect!

1/2 Avocado
3/4 Cup coconut or almond milk
1/3 Cup hot cocoa mix (You can use sugar-free if you’d like. You can also switch out the chocolate for frozen strawberries)
2 Cups ice, add more for thicker mix
4 Baby carrots
1 Rib of celery

Blend on high speed of blender for about 45 seconds.
Serve immediately.

If these recipes just saved your mind a whole lot of trouble in deciding what to have for dinner tonight, you won’t want to miss my FREE Summer Sanity Savers webcast on Tuesday, April 23 at 8pm (EST). My friend Crystal Paine and I will be talking about how to save money, time, and of course, your sanity! Just sign up below to receive a reminder about the webcast.

Unglued Summer Sanity Savers

Type your email address
here to receive a reminder
about this free webcast.

Here’s some more exciting news… today I’m giving away a $250 Amazon gift certificate! Yes! You can win a $250 gift certificate (that would be crazy fun, hunh?!) There’s a whole lot more on Amazon than just books. You could use that credit toward new kitchen appliances to whip up some healthy meals this summer. Smiles.

All you have to do is leave a comment below giving me your summer sanity saving tips. I will announce one blog commenter as the winner on the webcast Tuesday :) See you there!

Alicia Anderson says:

So excited about the summer sanity savings!!!

My favorite sanity saver idea is Beach Blanket Movies at our local beach. We take a simple picnic dinner and pop a big giant bowl of popcorn and stop for coffee for me and the hubs and then take our beach chairs and blankets and relax. It’s fun for everyone! Our beach has family night movies, so they are all age appropriate and clean. It’s so beautiful to be near God’s beautiful handiwork as we watch the sun set. We go early to walk the beach, the boardwalk or just sit and chill! A real sanity saver for me! It’s $5 for parking…cheap family night out! Check your town info…some towns do the same thing in parks. Our neighboring state has Shakespear plays it n the park…that’s awesome too!

Cara McKinley says:

Thanks for all you do!

cindy walters says:

My kids are grown now, but the first full day of school vacation, we planned a calendar of fun, I let them pick days that they would like to spend with friends, some with family, some had to be educational days, learning new things, the teens got snooze pigs days, days to sleep in with no scheduling. Then I got one day to spend with each one alone. Last minute calls from friends had to be discussed between them, as they cherished the days the spent toegether, so much. Making a plan helped, because I worked, and there were no last minute calls begging to go here or there. I think they learned from it that family is so important, they are all 3 best friends to this day.

Wow we just had your pizza base with bacon and mushrooms – it was amazing and I know I am not going to wake up tomorrow with sinus. Thanks!!

Our kids are all grown and now away. But summer sanity for us during that season of our lives was to plan. We had a weekly field trip which we discussed well in advance and planned or coal endeared. Sometimes it was a field trip to a favorite historic site. Or a tour of mabe “the mint”. Or a hike in a national park. Always fun and a new adventure.

These are wonderful recipes, Lisa. I am gluten intolerant (Celiac disease) so these recipes suit me just fine. Thanks for posting them. My summer sanity includes a refreshing swim in cool water, shade from an umbrella or shade trees, lots of greenery and summer scents to tickle the senses, and a picnic lunch with my family. Love ya! Ellen

kathy bucklein says:

My son Phillip is inspired by you. You should know how far-reaching your messages are, not just to women, but to good young men who want to inspire mom’s and be with good young women. (He has 3 sisters, too!)
    thanks for a being another good role model for him and me.
    blessings,
    Katghy Bucklein

Amy Jackson says:

Everyone knows that Summer is Crazy busy! Breakfast is so important! I love to make smoothies when I don’t have a lot of time!

Frozen Fruit, Almond Milk, Vanilla Greek Yogurt, a scoop of PB, and some Carnation Instant Breakfast!! Bam!

I also Like to add Kale to my smoothies along with Oats, and Flax for lots of extra nutrients! It literally takes me 5 minutes to make and I can feel really good about my food choice to starting my day!

Summer Sanity Savers @ my house include a prep day, simple dinners, and getting outside as often as possible – all of which keep the time I have to spend cleaning during the week to a minimum and the time I have to enjoy my family to a maximum!

PREP: Every Saturday or Sunday, I prep for the week ahead. We plan one thing for breakfast and one thing for lunch for the entire week, and make it ahead of time. Usually breakfast burritos for breakfast – we change up the ingredients each week to keep it interesting. These are great because you just wrap in foil, turn on the oven when you get up and throw them in there. By the time you are dressed and ready to go, they are ready to eat. And sandwiches/wraps for the kids for lunch. I wrap them individually and then place in large labeled ziploc baggies so they are easy to find in the morning. I also pre-portion their chips, and have a bowl of “treats” in the pantry. They can choose ONE to put in their lunch for dessert each day. I also have a weekly calendar where I write everyone’s activities for the week. While I do this, I make a list of everything that will be needed for these activities (sunscreen, swimsuits, $$, etc) and I gather as much of it as I can and place in a bag for each member of our family. That way on Tuesday, when my son is going to the pool, I can send him to his bag to get what he needs, and we don’t have to spend 20 minutes looking in closets, under beds, etc for his flip flops!

SIMPLE DINNER: Too much time cleaning the kitchen drives me crazy. So I try to use my grill as much as possible. Most evenings I will grill meat and veggies, and we will have watermelon, canteloup, or strawberries. No fuss, no mess. Minimal clean up. I love it!

our family oohs gluten free and we love pizza and icecream! cant wait to try these!

Misty Bauder says:

Our town has lots of great and free events in the summer. There are 4th Fridays which is a street festival every month with music, dancers, food, vendors and activities. There are monthly movie nights outside at a park for free. Every Wednesday evening there are family fun events at a park-kid friendly music, jugglers, magicians, etc and Sunday nights have a free concert at a park. On top of that, there are several great splash pads around and we have a zoo membership to the Columbus Zoo which gets us in for free every time we go. And sprinklers in the back yard and the library are other free fun activities.

Rebecca Anderson says:

Summer Insanity: Trying to pack in all the things/projects I want to do in just 2 short months, thereby creating HUGE stress!

Sanity Savers: Intentionally choosing just a few important projects to focus on, and not driving myself and my family crazy!

mine' stanczak says:

I check with the local mall info desk where they usually have great deals for nearby attractions. I got in on a great deal for four waterpark tickets plus two $25 gift certificates. (With each deal you buy two waterpark tickets and you get a $25 dollar gift cert). Also doing lots of cooking from scratch and even making my own cottage cheese and yogurt, etc. I ask the kids what they would like to eat before I go to the grocery store, which makes it special for them to request what they would like for their meals.