Type your email address here to sign up for
The Best Yes Webcast information list.

Monday, December 17

How Do I Pray For The Families Of Sandy Hook?

There are things mommies aren’t ever supposed to find.

They aren’t supposed to find themselves in a firehouse frantically looking for their child. They aren’t supposed to find their child’s name on a list of those who won’t be coming home. They aren’t supposed to find a dress to wear to their child’s funeral.

They aren’t supposed to turn their calendar and find a date circled for the birthday party they were supposed to be planning next month. The one that won’t be.

Or walk to the mailbox and find their child’s dentist appointment reminder card. The receptionist forgot to pull that one out.

Or find a book they know their child would love. Only half way to the check out counter they remember, they’re gone.

They aren’t supposed to find these things.

They aren’t supposed to find that grieving for a child is like navigating a path with chasms so wide their continued steps seem impossible. Terrifying. Hopeless.

I know these chasms. I watched my mom stare at them. I saw her wish she could fall in them and never have to take another painful step. I wept over everything she found reminding her my sister was gone.

That’s how I know what God would have me pray right now. For the families of the loved ones that lost so much last Friday. But especially for the mommies.

The mommies that even right now are finding things no mommy should have to find.

I want my prayers to slip into those chasms and somehow fill them. I am asking God to show me. Make me aware of the specific things those mommies might find in the months to come. When the black dresses are hanging in the closets. The media has packed up and gone home. The cards stop coming. The neighbors are back to normal.

And in the quietness of her own grief that mommy finds something. Something that breaks her heart all over again. And in that space of pure grief, she feels horrifically alone.

Please Lord, let my prayers go there. Prick my heart to fill that chasm with layers of prayers from my mommy heart. Let me take the deep grief of that moment so she doesn’t have to be so alone.

Though she won’t see me or hear my prayers, may she feel an unexplainable sense of Your presence. And know. You.

That’s what I pray she does find. You. With her. Comfort. Peace. Healing. Hope.

Oh God, show us how to pray.

“Know that wisdom is such to your soul; if you find it, there will be a future, and your hope will not be cut off,” Proverbs 24:14.

Father, Thank you for giving Lysa these beautiful words. As a daughter of a Mother who has lost 2 sons, my heart just aches for all these families. I find myself almost in tears, if not fully crying. We lift up every heart ache and sorrow and tear filled eye father and pray that you will take each moment as a sacrifice of prayer, an offering of sorts, for each and every family. I pray Lord that you will surround them and give them that Peace, Hope, strength and the will to keep moving on, as only you can. May they look to you Father for the strength that they need to get through each moment. Father we lift up the mothers, and also lift up the fathers and siblings, who sometimes get over looked in these times of grief. Father We offer up to you our prayers and praise as we Entrust these families to you Father.

In Jesus Name
    Amen

Beth MacManus says:

Being a mother of 2 girls (one is 18 the other 14) I can think of no greater pain than losing a child. My heart is hevay with grieve for those moms and dads. I pray that Lord Jesus will bring them some comfort in knowing that he is holding them close as we speak. I feel that Mother Mary and God have heavy hearts just as we do. But I know that there is much good in mankind and we can strife to do better in all things. I know that more guns is not what we need. We need to pray as a nation and ask for God’s forgiveness and guidence in this time of need.

Father God – we turn to You knowing You are listening. Help guide us in prayer and in what ever ways You show us to help the Sandy Hook families and community that is bearing such a great loss. Help us to remember them in our daily prayers as well as other families everywhere who have lost someone as a result of horrific acts. I pray for Your mercy and healing for those who are lost, confused, and led by evil to do unspeakable acts to others. In your name I pray.

God be with all of you and wrap you in his loving arms and carry you though. I can’t imagine the hurt, lean on Jesus and ask for his guidance.

Dear Heavenly Father continue to show me and your believers how to pray. As I prepare for Christmas gatherings these families are preparing for a funeral. I pray that your protection, warmth, rest and hope would surround these families. That They would not grow bitter or hopeless in the face of all this loss and evil but would know of the God who also not only lost his son but willingly gave him up. That they would encounter not religious babble but true love and hope that only you can and do supply. Help us to grieve with them and remind us to continue to cover them in prayer. In Jesus name.

Dear Lord,
    I ask that you fill hearts of the families of the Newport, Ct with love. Please help heal the pain they suffer with your everlasting love. That the hate for what has happen be turn in to love for you. That peace finds the families and those who feel pain from this. I ask you dear Lord to spead your love thoughout the United States. That we as a country pray for you and welcome you back to us. That we as a nation help the ones that need help. That we see that mental illness is a disease we need to embrass and find help for those who suffer. I pray today for all that those who suffers in this world and may peace surround them. Amen God Bless Everyone

Precious Abba, Father of mercy and God of all comfort, pour down Your love on these families and this community that is so deep in grief and
    despair. Comfort the parents grieving for taken children, families of the adult victims. It is so hard to understand why such hideous tragedies
    happen. Father let Your presence be felt so strong they will feel Your arms of love and comfort. Wipe away the tears that they may be able to see through the mist, beyond death and the grave, to the awesome celebration going on in heaven. Our hearts are filled with gratitude that You prepared a home for them where there are no bad people, no
    guns, fear or tears, but an eternity of joy, laughter and praising Jesus.
    We are humbled in sight of such love that makes eternity with You
    possible for all that love You. In Jesus name we pray.. amen

Lovenprayers
    Kit

Dorce Campbell says:

Jesus I ask that you touch each one effected by these deaths with your peace and grace that you promised us. I pray that each one find that good that you bring out of bad, as I who has suffered tragedy such as this knows you do. Hold each one, parent, grandparent, aunt,uncle cousins close as they find the only true healer you Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen

Please pray for my son who has been caught using drugs at home and school. He has fallen in with a different crowd and it’s breaking my heart to see him making poor choices. Parenting is the hardest job I’ve ever had and I’m grateful that Jesus is with me every moment. He reminds me that he loves my children even more than I do and I cling to his promises. I pray for all the families that have lost a child, that Jesus will comfort them with every tear and every lonely, grief-filled moment.

Angela Rose says:

Merry Christmas. Thank you God for everything you give us and take away . It is all to Your will for us to be closer to You. To love You more, to trust You so deeply and intimately, forever and ever. Thank you God for giving us Salvation through Christ. Thank you for Your Holy Spirit, our Comforter forever. Thank you for holding each of us so close as we walk our life journey with You . Thank you for everything forever. Thank you for everything you give us and everything you take away, always and forever never away from Your Will for each of us. Your Will for us has what seems unbearable painful seasons for us at times, please continue to reveal your plan for each of us so we may accomplish Your Will and may Glorify Your Name forever . God please hold very, very close all who are completely heart broken and grief stricken today, my heart is broken for them this Christmas Day too. Having your awesome blessing of giving me 4 awesomely perfect children, 2 girls 2 boys from 7 to 21 yrs old. , I am thankful for Your will for me and that You ushered my 2 other children 22 and 9 years ago , to be with You in Paradise. When I see, hug, hold, smell, touch, teach, play, kiss my 4 children you gave me… I am thankful for what You give me and am excited about fulfilling Your will for my and all our lives. We will see our babies, children again.. we just have to be patient. You always give shelter and protection in the shadow of Your wings, forever! Comfort, Love, Strength, Your Power within each broken, unspeakable grief, anguished heart and mind of Mothers, Fathers, Sisters and Brothers that are experiencing these things today, the day of Celebration of Your Son, our Savior, Please lift the empty pit God. It hurts so bad. Thank you for all you give us and take away. Glory and praise to He who sits on throne, He who is worthy to be praised, now and forever and ever. He who is faithful forever and ever. He is worthy to be praised. Amen.

Dear Heavenly Father,
    How our hearts break for these precious families this Christmas morning! Great Physician, please apply a balm of never-ending comfort to their bleeding hearts. Show them how to hold on to the promise of a heavenly reunion with their precious child, wife, sister, brother, mother, grandmother, aunt, cousin, niece, nephew, coworker, or friend. Lord, please wrap your loving arms around them as they navigate the darkness of this unspeakable tragedy. Indeed, Lord, we earnestly beg you to firmly place them in the light of your love, your peace, and your hope.

Stacy Perez says:

Dear God I pray whole heartly for those families that lost their love ones I pray for peace on their hearts and their souls. Please shower them all with your love. I pray in your name Jesus, Amen.

Lord Jesus, I have thankfully never know the grief that the parents of Sandy Hook are feeling. There is nothing in my heart that can even come close to knowing what this is like. And yet, my heart aches for the families…for the mommies. I cannot wrap my head around the thought of waking up every morning knowing that my baby is no longer with me. For resons unknown to us here left on earth, you needed these children as yours. The Christmas concerts that never got attended, the Christmas gifts never opened, and so many life plans, never to happen. I ask that you wrap your loving arms around these mommies and these families, give them some kind of comfort to help them thru the daily reminders of things that will never be.
    Lord, give to me, as a mother, some of their pain. I have healthy children and I am blessed. if there is something I can do for them by taking even a portion of their sadness and pain away, please give this to me. Give me the wisdom to know if there is more I can do and how to continue to pray for the families left behind.

Connie Johnson says:

Dear Lord, As we go about our daily routines, may we remember to stop and pray for the Sandy Hook Elementary community for their lives are forever changed. Bring them to mind, Dear Lord, prompting us to intercede for their needs and their emotional and spiritual strength now and for a long time to come. We will never have any answers for this tragedy beyond the fact that you, our Heavenly Father, gave man free will and choice. Without it, you would not know that our love and devotion to you are real. Tragically, there are times that good people are hurt because they are affected by someone’s horrible choice. Only you, Heavenly Father, can bring peace and comfort to that hurting community and families so suddenly torn apart. Hold them close, Dear Jesus. In the Name of Jesus I pray, Amen.

caroline kabwe says:

Heavenly father, our greatest comforter. You who is the one true constant in all our lives touch the souls of every parent that has suffered the loss of a child. No parent should bury their child. In their deepest pain be that ray of hope and sanity that they will need to restore the rest of their lives. Abba Father, you know each and every feeling and thought going through their hearts. Thank you for having chosen us to be the sons of God, that we may always have the privelege of never ending peace in you. May you love shine through all those private heartwrenching tears for the mums and dads, grans, cousins and the world over.

Dear Lord, as we enter a New Year I pray that the families that have been so affected by the incident that occurred find peace, hope, and strength in You. I pray that You touch the souls of those to comfort them and that You fill in the gaps of all our prayers to comfort these families. I pray Lord that they find peace in You and know that only You can bring them hope. Thank you God for being with us each and every day in our lives. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.

Father God, we come before you in the Name of Jesus. Please continue to comfort the folks in Newton, CT, and draw them to yourself. We pray for laborers in their paths to embrace them during this time – in whatever form that needs to take. May they know that Your love for them is great and deep, and that You know them intimately. Thank You for Your mercy and grace toward them. May they cling to You, Jesus, Father God, and Holy Spirit, and hope and joy be restored to them little by little. Amen.