Thursday, February 2

I can’t get no satisfaction

In my book “Made to Crave” I wrote the following:

Food can fill our stomachs but never our souls.

Possessions can fill our houses but never our hearts.

Sex can fill our nights but never our hunger for love.

Children can fill our days but never our identities.

It’s easy to say these things.  But it’s stinkin’ hard to make our heart catch up to these realities. And I think when we get any of this out of whack, we start living Mick Jagger’s famous song, “I can’t get no satisfaction”.

Because real satisfaction can’t ever be found absent of God.  There are deep places within our soul that God hand designed and reserved only for Him to fill.

I’d love your thoughts.  Let’s talk about this today.  Where do you find yourself turning, trying to get those deep soul needs met?

For each person who joins in the conversation by leaving a comment today, I’ll enter you to be one of five winners who will get both a Made to Crave book and a the new Made to Crave 60 day Devotional.

I can’t wait to hear your thoughts today.

The Lord is slowing showing me my true worth when I completely rely on HIM! I am seeing glimpses of HIS wonderful FREEdom!

Elizabeth says:

I’m doing better at praising God and thanking Him rather than dwelling on what I don’t have or wish for. Once I begin thanking Him for all that I do have and all the blessings I’ve received the missing parts don’t seem to matter so much anymore. I do tend get upset about estranged family members and their behaviorisms but again I try to use the same tactic ~ be grateful and thankful for the good relationships that I have.

I often feel the struggle in me between going off and having fun with my friends with food or it often seems like the opposite is staying home and disciplining myself with eating healthy food in healthful portions. Your words in your book help me with this. Live a life undivided…don’t honor food, honor God. I’m hoping through my relationship with God , I’ll someday have the discipline enough to make the right choices when out having fun without it being related to food.

Veta Millard says:

Thank you so much. I have 4 children myself. the oldest will be a senior next year. She has been pretty calm and compliant very independent very strong headed!!! I am going to pray everyday for god centered children

Hi Lisa,
    Your line of products was shared with me by a loving person whom I will call (Beautiful) for privacy reason! One day, recently, I just needed to talk to someone and explain what I was truly feeling. Beautiful words guided me to know, I was on the right track with my life, but that I was ready to increase in my Obedience to God, his true plan and purpose for my life. Your book, “ Made to Crave” was highly reccommended along with the online biblestudy by Beautiful. This is a window opportunity to my success journey with Jesus! My thanks to God, my friend Beautiful, and to you, Lisa for writing the book and opening your website for further study.
    Lovingly,
    Pam (Honey) McGoughy
    Saint Charles, IL

Food is my stumbling block. I just began a journey of reading through “Made to Crave” and discussing my struggles on my blog. Thank you for writing this book. It is helping me to gain the strength I need for this long journey!

christine says:

I am a control freak to the max when it comes to food. It has been an issue for me for almost 60 years now. I have weighed in at from 98lbs to 200lbs during my adult years. It has been a journey of little bite size pieces of letting go and letting God control my eating issues since I was in my 30′s and discovered myself to be anorexic.That was a real eye opener and I was desperate to please God rather than my body so I began to eat and stopped excessive exercising and put away the weigh scales. But controlling my eating was still going on just on a much healthier level. It is only just in the last week I was finally able to turn the reigns of controlling my weight over to God in complete surrender. You see, I finally trust Him as I came to understand that surrender does not mean living a defeated life, but a Holy Spirit filled life. Your book and study, Made to Crave has come at the perfect time in my life and I am excited about doing it. Thanks so much for persevering in your own life so I could learn from it.

I definitely turn to food and for everything. I turn to it if I’m happy it’s a treat, if I’m sad it’s comfort, if I’m mad it’s distracting. I need to always remember that whatever and whenever I crave anything it’s God’s desire to fill me, my God hole can only be filled with Him. Thanks for the reminder.

Hi Lysa! from another L”Y”sa. Not many of us out here. =)

I unfortunately have always turned to food as a comfort. I would tell myself, its better that I do food than drink, drugs, or etc. that was my way of justifying it. When I found Jesus it filled a whole so large that now I am trying to retrain myself. I dont eat as much for comfort anymore as habit. I am looking forward to reading your book.

I think food or TV…mindless TV that is.

sadly, it is food i turn to. i find myself stuffing my mouth silly with food even when i feel my tummy stretching to its capacity… all the while without feeling enough / full. it was as if i’ve not eaten!

Food to fill the stomach is necessary for the strength we need to find the food to feed our heart and souls; and this food is the words of God. Time for this fulfillment defers for each person; and at this matured age of mid 40s, I am still searching for this food!

Just because I don’t bow before a stone image doesn’t mean I’m not worshipping an idol…what a convicting realization to discover that I’ve made something intended to nourish into an idol that kills and destroys. The only way to move from idol worship to true worship is confession and seeking the LORD, for which it is necessary to be daily grounded in the Word. Thanks Lysa for once again pointing us UP!

It is ALL Him. There is no satisfaction without Him. Thanks for your excellent reminders.

Chocolate. ‘Nuff said.

Hell Lysa,,
    I just finished your book and it was just what I needed along with some other tools. Thank you.

I few years back I was one that felt very alone. Had lots of “friends”, loads of M&M’s and wine to fill my empty and lonely nights and still wasn’t very satisfying. I’m so glad God brought me all the way down to the bottom of the pit, to just extend his hands out and say come. I found a great church with great people. I attend bible study and God speaks to me all the time. I feel renewed and I just crave Him more and more everyday. Praying that my husband will have the same crave as me.

If my kids don’t meet my expectation… “I” feel like a failure as if “I” am created them, “I” made their choices. “They” are not “Me”! Revolation: “mom” is my identity that I need to surrender to meet the needs of my soul. Food is where I feel comfort…soothe my soul. I just keep calling out to GOD to be my safe place and the one who calm me and comforts me.

Hi! Lysa,
    Finished your book this morning. (going through my ebook devo for 2nd time!) I LOVE it. I have a friend wanting to borrow, but I may just go & buy her one….I hate to part with it…….is this really selfish!? I know God cares about our struggles & weight control/FOOD have been mine for as long as I can remember. The idea of taking the struggle to God was not new to me, I had lost nearly 70lbs about 5 years ago……..praying my way through. The death of my Dad seem to just put it all on hold…..I was not at my goal but I felt so much better….I was okay with where I was. Now having gained around 15 or so pounds back…..I’m not okay with it. I want to be at goal…..I turn 50 in May & I’m determined to lose 30lbs by then. I have dropped 5 of that already since beginning the second week in January. Your books have been so great for me. I actually had listened to you a year ago on KLOVE…..but I guess it just didn’t hit me until I read the book thru on my own….this is “Tomorrow” everyday…..I’m a huge Mandisa fan & her album “what if we were real”…..is now the soundtrack for my life……it seems to fit together with your study so well. I’m not waiting on tomorrow any more……thank you for the books!! God Bless You!

Maria Perez says:

Hurt with lose…hurt by church folks…hurt by rejection. Wishing and praying for repeated circumstances, that keep coming and going in my life. Making plenty of mistakes, and praying for deliverance for the same sins. Raising a family on my own, and wishing that I can get the help of a man in this world, totally knowing that our lord and savior has provided all my needs. Where does this emptiness come from…surely I know the righteous will suffer, I’m still waiting to stop suffering consistency at least for one whole month. No matter what…God comes first in my life, but in this world, I can’t get control of my weight. I know that is so important, for us to take care of our temple. God knows how much I want to loose weight and keep it off. New to your website…very interesting. Thank you!!

• 529

I would love to read this book. I’ve struggled with an eating disorder for many years and your words resonated with me today.

paula jean says:

cosmetics can enhance our features but never reveals true beauty

I am not sure why I aimlessly turn to looking in the refrigerator to fill that empty hole that only God can fill, I guess it is the same reason my x-husband kept buying all the motorcycles, and tools, and fishing equipment. But I know Jesus, so why do I keep looking in the refrigerator?

Yes, always a battle to fight…. Because the reality is that I’m (or I should say, my flesh) is always looking for people and things to meet the expectations of my heart. You know those expectations that come when we don’t look to God to meet the needs of our hearts? Well they always seem to creep out of nowhere and grab onto my ankles!

Lei Ann Nichols says:

On page 61 you ask “How can we live by the Spirit”? You say, ” If we know Jesus as our personal Savior, the Bible teaches we have the Holy Spirit living in us”. but what about Acts 2:38-39 (NIV)
    [38] Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. [39] The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.” According to this verse in order to receive the Holy Spirit we must first repent and be buried with Christ in baptism. I am planning on facilitating a class using the book and participant’s guide and we are also going to study the “Made to Crave Action Plan” too. I know these lessons will change lives. Thank you for all the hard work and sacrifice you put into writing and creating this Spirit filled material.

food and shopping are the two things that i try to feel that void with. and let me tell ya…neither are working.

Frances Arrol says:

I am really enjoying the book Made to Crave. I posted a quote from the book (The first two paragraphs on pg 110) on facebook and a lot of people are appreciating your words. I am still struggling though. I need a meal plan to stick with and was wondering if you ever shared a more specific plan like the one you were on that worked for you. My doctor said that she just reccomends WW. I think I am like you in the sense that I am going to have to give up sweets totally. I am half way through and would love to have your devotional too!! I just wanted to say thank you for writing the book. I have read a few books on this subject and your straight forward talk done in the spirit of love and understanding has inspired me to try again. I have told people about and even thin people who have read the book have told me how much they enjoy it. Thanks again and any more advice you have about a meal plan would be much appreciated. Thank you Fran Arrol

Wanda Hampton says:

I’m so inspired by your devotional. I’m going through a painful breakup. What I love is needing God’s Devine help in the choices we make. Also, real satisfaction can’t ever be found absent of God!!! It’s had been truly a blessing meditating during my lunch hour daily. Love Sister Wanda