Hi Friends, if you're looking for the final The Best Yes webcast replay, click here.

Tuesday, February 21

But God Verses

Thank you for all the sweet comments about the blog redo.

And thank you to all my friends who tuned in for the webcast last night.  It really was a special night. If you missed it or you’d like to watch it again, here is the link.

If you don’t currently get my tweets, you can follow me by clicking here.

My message was “How big is your but?”  I’ve found a big defeater in my life is following up statements about what I want or need to do with the words “But I.”

I need to work out… BUT I am so tired.

I want to get healthy… BUT I lack self-control.

I want to stop yelling at my kids… BUT I just feel so frustrated all the time.

I need to talk about this issue with my friend… BUT I don’t like confrontation.

When we follow up statements with “But I” the BUT seems very big.

That’s why I’m learning to follow every “but I” with a “But God” statement of truth.  If I catch myself saying “but I”… I need to see this as a trigger to redirect my discouraged heart with a “But God” truth.

When we follow up statements with “But God” the BUT becomes smaller and smaller.

As I promised in last night’s webcast, here are some BUT GOD verses we can use:

Genesis 8:1
But God remembered Noah and all the wild animals and the livestock that were with him in the ark, and he sent a wind over the earth, and the waters receded.

Genesis 31:42
If the God of my father, the God of Abraham and the Fear of Isaac, had not been with me, you would surely have sent me away empty-handed. But God has seen my hardship and the toil of my hands, and last night he rebuked you.

Genesis 50:20
You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.

1 Samuel 23:14
David stayed in the desert strongholds and in the hills of the Desert of Ziph. Day after day Saul searched for him, but God did not give David into his hands.

1 Kings 5:4
But now the LORD my God has given me rest on every side, and there is no adversary or disaster.

Nehemiah 9:17
They refused to listen and failed to remember the miracles you performed among them. They became stiff-necked and in their rebellion appointed a leader in order to return to their slavery. But you are a forgiving God, gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love. Therefore you did not desert them.

Psalm 49:15
But God will redeem my life from the grave; he will surely take me to himself.

Psalm 73:26
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Isaiah 40:8
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever.

Jonah 2:6
To the roots of the mountains I sank down; the earth beneath barred me in forever. But you brought my life up from the pit, O LORD my God.

Matthew 19:26
Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.

John 1:18
No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father’s side, has made him known.

Acts 2:24
But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him.

Acts 3:15
You killed the author of life, but God raised him from the dead. We are witnesses of this.

Acts 5:39
But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.

Romans 5:8
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:9
You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you.

1 Corinthians 1:27
But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

2 Timothy 2:9
for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God’s word is not chained.

Which of these verses is your favorite and why?  Let’s talk about it.  Also, let me know how God is speaking to your heart through this “But God” teaching.

Lysa – these verses are WONDERFUL! Somewhere along the way, I’ve forgotten the “But God.” Shame on me, because we had a wonderful “But God” experience nearly 20 years ago. My then-teenaged daughter was in a horrific car accident. In the roll of the car, the flesh on her arm was torn off down to the bone. Three hospitals later, they were preparing her for surgery and the doctor came out and told us it was a pretty grim situation and maybe a 5% chance of saving her arm — and then, still the risk that it would get infected and have to be amputated. We stood there with our pastor and, with disbelief and sorrow, listened to the doctor’s words. And then our pastor prayed. I’ve never forgotten, nor will I ever forget, our pastor’s words as he prayed to our loving Father, telling Him who knows all what the doctor had just said, and then he spoke the most beautiful words. He said, “But, God, with you, all things are possible. . .” And indeed they were and still are today. Not only did God miraculously save my daughter’s arm, He rehabilitated it to the point of near total functionality — and she came back a year later to be chosen all-star conference volleyball player at her school/in her league. So I needed to be reminded of that today as my daughter, now a lovely young woman, is once again, facing a seemingly monumental trial in her life. Things, indeed, look hopeless. . . BUT GOD!!

• 53

Cheryl, what a beautiful testimony. I’m praying for your daughter today. And her mother :)

• 54

I’ve been in a very dark situation dealing with unemployment & not being able to find a job because of a past mistake. Today I was catching up on my daily bread readings & one was entitled But God. I got online just now to look up more But God scriptures & I came across this site. Totally encouraged me. I thought back to the way I was let go from work & I realized that they meant it for evil, to harm me BUT GOD…

Love the blog!!! It totally captures your beauty :) Love the message. It totally captures my heart!!!
    Love you!

Laura Taylor says:

God’s timing is perfect. Thank you so much for this post. It came at a perfect time for me. God has really been speaking to me about all the things that I have been ignoring in my life and all the “buts” that I give him all the time. Thanks again.

Linda K. Hudson says:

How can I print all of the verses without having to print all of the comments and other info. This would really be something nice for us to be able to do. Thank You so much for your Made to Crave. My husband and I did it last year and lost 25 lbs, me and 50 lbs., for him. But we got out of the habit during the holidays and all of the cold weather. We have restarted and I am in charge of a group at our church, please pray for us that we will learn to crave God more and more and not food. God bless and keep you always.

Love this:-) I have been saying for weeks I need to work out BUT I am to tired. Thank you for this reminder that with God I can do all things.

Christy Batterson says:

This post speaks so much to me. Just Sunday I was speaking with one of our church leaders about how even though I know God has forgiven my sins (and there are some pretty big ones) and I doubt. I can hear myself saying…..”I know you have forgiven and forgot but really are you sure because that was a doosey of a one……” My leader read this scripture to me (Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord) and explained to me that I was portraying arrogance by saying holding onto it and not forgiving myself (which has caused a lot of issues in itself). So today when I read your post (sorry for being late) it spoke to me again. Thank you so much for sharing!

Thank you Lysa.
    I just watched the webcast replay, thank you for making it available.
    I have been working this year on taking every thought and making it obedient to Christ and this teaching is a powerful tool in this process. The Lord is teaching me so much.
    I try to pass on what the Lord is teaching me to others as well.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, Lysa for allowing God to use you to help so many people. Ps. 73:26 and Matt. 19:26 speak the loudest to me at this time. I have struggled with my weight all of my life. I have lost 80 lbs + several times only to gain it all back. I told a friend several years ago,”I want to want God more than I want food.” Your book and program truly give me the guidance and strength to help make this happen in my life.. It definitly is not about the food…food is only the symptom I can honestly say that I can now thank God for allowing me to have this malady!

I was hoping to see the How big is your but webcast but when I clicked on the link above it took me to a Made to crave challenge. While this would probably be good also, I was hoping to see the other one. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks!

Veta Millard says:

I feel.all of this…helpless and exhausted…I need Jesus to take control!!!

love this! thank you very much!

Anastasia Olson says:

Genesis 50:20
    I am 42 yrs old and have gone through a lot of things in my young life and not many of them good. This is the verse that keeps me going. That in what I have gone through may benefit others and that there is a “God-intended good” that will result from it all. Some of those things I have already seen. I lost my first husband when I was 27, and I couldn’t see what any good would come from that, all I knew then was feeling hurt alone and abandoned. In 2003, a very good friend of my lost her husband suddenly and because I had already gone through that grief (and was still going through it), I was able to be there for her and support her and her family. No it wasn’t easy, but helping her through her grief, helped me with mine. Right now I am going through a very difficult season in my life, and again this verse gives me hope that eventually there will be good coming from all this. and as before I don’t see it, BUT I know that God has it well in hand. I hope that all of you sisters out there that are going through difficult trials will see the fruit of what you have endured and that God’s love and grace will give you the strength to endure it!!

Iasiah 40:8 is my favorite “But God” verse because without his infallible word all of the others are empty promises.

Psalm 73:26

No matter what goes on in life. God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Erica Andrade says:

Thank You Lysa!! I Love all the But God verses. Sometimes, we really don’t pay attention to the words that come out of our mouth. Actually we don’t THINK about the words that come out of our mouth. This was a real eye opener. Thank You!!
    God Bless. : )

Thank you Lysa for being so open and willing to share God’s Love for us, absolutely love the “BUT GOD” concept. I knew it but guess I needed the reminder

Today, I would say my favorite is Matthew 19:26. God always strengthens us for the challenges we face, if only we let him. Here’s where I have trouble ~ giving him the “reigns” and letting him take control. I’m struggling with a lot of things, “but God” is right there with me, thru it all. All of these verses are wonderful. Thank you, Lysa, for this reminder and your daily encouragement.

for me it’s psalm 73:26 my flesh and heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

I have been struggling with weight loss for many years and having trouble controlling myself. so the “portion” needs to be God and my bond is forever. I am thankful He is my strength and even though I am failing God is still with me and I need to draw closer to Him.Thank you : )

• 72

I was touched by your comment. I too struggle with the same weight loss issues. I have lost weight several times. For some reason, I always go back to my same old stinkin self and end up gaining it all back. When I remind myself that HE IS MY PORTION it also helps me keep my focus on Him. Sometimes I wonder if my struggle is vanity more than weight. ??? Either way, God is OUR strength! Praying for victory for you!

God flips our world upside down! Jesus was the master of BUTS – in turning societal norms inside out! The beggers and lepers and sick and children wanted to approach the teacher – unheard of – BUT Jesus encouraged it and touched them all; BUT Jesus talked to the Samaritan woman; BUT Jesus taught the heart of the law; BUT Jesus took our place on the cross… Just a wonderful , BUT God sees it differently!! Thx so much for sharing your flipped BUT issues!! XO

Psalm 73:26

This one really spoke to me….I’m still not exactly sure why but it was the one that I read outloud to my husband and daughter while reading this post. I think it is mostly the fact that I feel like I fail at so many things…keeping organized, keeping a clean house, keeping my recent weight loss OFF, just plain keeping it all together. This reminds me that no matter what, God is my strength and portion forever no matter my failures! Thank you for posting.

I like what you are saying Lysa. I pray one day i will be able to have these truths ingrained in my heart that they will instantly come to mind when i feel weak or strong. My favorite one is my flesh and heart may fail, but God is the strength of my life and my portion forever. It helps me to see that no matter what he is enough and he gives me the strength to get through everything the good and the bad. I felt comfort when i read this verse. Thanks for sharing.

I ‘definitely’ would love to win a book for my daughter!! Already have Made To Crave for myself!

Psalm 73:26

My flesh is so weak right now. I have to remember that when my flesh is weak, His Spirit is strong. This is a challenge to remember when you think you have life figured out – then the rug is pulled out from under you. Life is hitting me and my loved ones from all sides it seems, but God, You are my portion. I pray He continually reminds me of this.

Haven’t read through all the verses yet so cannot comment on a favorite, but just wanted to say this concept is AWESOME!

Trackbacks