12.31.2007

A Nugget for the New Year- Literally!

I will eventually get to my New Year’s Resolution for this year. But we have to take a little journey first. You see it all started this morning when I was reading and about half way through a particularly stirring verse in Isaiah, I spotted a nugget. Not of wisdom. But a literal nugget made of chicken pieces and parts. (It did not come from Chick-fil-A which is probably why said nugget never got eaten.) Yes, there it sat. So, right then and there I decided to do a little test. I left it just to see how long it would take for another human in my home to notice it and recognize where this day old, unrefrigerated nugget of pieces and parts belonged. Poor little nugget sat hour after hour right in the middle of my den- right beside Brooke playing with her cyber pets on Webkins. It sat through Ashley’s cartoon fest. It sat while Jackson walked past it umpteen times while making his grand plans for hanging with his buds tonight. It sat while Art got ready for work and walked past it to have me fix his tie.

Not a soul noticed the nugget except me! So, I devised part two of my plan. I asked the kids to come and sit on the couch so I could take their picture. I purposely posed them right with the nugget. Look at my evidence people- just look!

To your left you’ll see Ashley just chatting away while little nugget is close enough to hear every detail!
Jackson is posed right beside it. He even made a comment, “Look mom there is a nugget on the table.” I bit my tongue because I needed to complete my experiment. I needed to know, “Is there another human who will feel compelled to pick up the NUGGET for Pete’s sake- whoever Pete is.

And then here is my little Brooke Caroline- but do you notice the little detail about her photo? The nugget has been moved! Moved I tell you!!! Someone flicked it just a few inches but never bothered to pick it up. Are you feeling my pain? It has been 8 hours since the nugget was first discovered by muwah!

So what is one to do with such pieces and parts that have been on display like this all day? Sometimes she gets all in huff and demands to know who did this and why is it that no one but her EVVVER picks up things like this—blah, blah, blah. But on the day that she asked God to give her His resolution for her this year- she sees His Nugget of wisdom and decides to end her experiment and simply pick it up herself.

She then puts on her rose colored glasses that will surely transport her to places more tropical- where they don’t even serve little deep fried poultry parts-

AND-

without having a hissy fit, she purses her lips into a most sincere smile and simply throws the nugget away. But not without taking a photo of the event so that her bloggy friends who have surely found nuggets in and around and tucked under and stuck to- can relate and maybe even smile.

So that brings me to my New Year’s resolution:

Sometimes it is necessary to have a full blown hissy fit. But this year I am going to really make an effort to put on my big girl panties and simply get over things like this.

I think my study of Isaiah will really help that. “Forget the former things (like daily hissy fits); do not dwell on the past (even when it smells like day old chicken.) See (Look for God in every situation and if you have cool glasses like these that my dentist let me pick from the prize box last week, they will surely help), I am doing a new thing! (God’s abundance and my feelings of frustration and emptiness are a perfect match.) Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? (God is available moment by moment with perfectly designed wisdom and perspectives for my every toil and trial.) I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.” (Boy does that perfectly describe my soul when it gets all busy and dried up- kind of like that nugget.) Isaiah 43: 18-19.

Comments

I think that verse is going to be rising high as everyone’s banner this year!! I am particularly zeroing in on the part, “do you not perceive it?” because I can be a little thick about God’s moving!

Did you ever see the Everybody Loves Raymond episode about the suitcase? Debra Barone and I have felt your pain, girlfriend.

I’m also in the process of blogging about that same verse in Isaiah! (No great poultry illustration with mine, though.) Chicken was in my LAST post.

How funny! Sad part for me is I have no little ones so if I find it it’s because I left it =)
    I can not believe I’ve “run” across your blog. I read your book “What Happens When Women Walk in Faith” and I LOVE LOVE loved it. I have passed it on to others (not my copy though- you never seem to get borrowed things back). Did I mention how much I loved it? God totally orchestrated the timing of me reading it….so like Him. I was in my second year of college and it was such a blessing.
    May you have a Wonderful New Year!!

Thank you – I needed that today – to be reminded to look forward and leave the hissy fits, however worthy, behind! I’m hopeful for 2008! Thanks for your ministry.

Lysa my friend, YOU are a complete nut! And I sooo love you! Happy New Year…I am off with Dave to a party, all dressed in gold! heheh! Can’t you just see me?! love ya, Shari

6. Kiki says

Oh my – again, I feel your pain and I commend you for not taking said “Hissy Fit” – I would have likely succumbed to it. Since I mentioned on your blog about my mom and the bone marrow transplant – she has a match – her brother! Only a 20% chance that would happen – God is SO SO GOOD! I look forward to 2008 and I hope your year is VERY BLESSED!

You always make me smile!! Thank you, thank you, thank you, i really needed that tonight. My hubbie is sick, so we are ringing in the New Year by watching football and keeping kleenex handy. I think I’ll give that passage in Isaiah a good read tomorrow! Have a great 2008!
    Laura

8. a friend says

A true nugget of wisdom — for me. I have those daily hissy fits, too. And it’s a comfort to know I’m not alone. But a greater comfort to know that sometimes a nugget is just a nugget and it’s not worth getting all stressed about. Thanks for sharing your nuggets of gold! Blessings to you and yours for the New Year.

The pics beside the nugget…priceless. Reminds me of the day I found a half a pop tart in my ds’s pillowcase.

The verses from Isaiah…thank you for those. They are perfect for a New Year.

Blessings,PJMama

(Did you and your girls catch Miley Cyrus on ABC Dick Clark Countdown? My dd asked me to stop singing…imagine that!)

Oh, Lisa, you hit the nail on the head for me! This morning, lying sick in bed for the fifth day, I began to throw a hissy fit in my mind. “I have waited on my family hand and foot while they’ve been sick all their lives. But when I’m sick, does anyone stop by my room and say, ‘Mama, do you need anything? What can I get for you?’ Noooo! If they even come in to see if I’m alive, they want to know something. Can’t I have even a fraction of the attention I’ve shown to them over the years?” Then I got up to take a long overdue bath (whether I had the energy or not) and someone had turned the “hot” water heater down to lukewarm. But before having a hissy fit, since no one was home, I had a chance to reconsider and didn’t have the hissy fit.

By the way, thanks for the comment about Chick-fil-A. My son is close to becoming a team leader at Chick-fil-A.

Oh, I’m feelin’ your pain. I left something on the stairs (right smack dab in the middle of the steps where anyone going up or down the stairs would intentionally have to step over it) and it stayed there for two days. I absolutely could not believe it. When I finally said (in a loud, not so nice voice) –“Have you really not noticed this for the last two days?” — all I got was this: “We thought you were leaving it there for something special.” Aaaaaallrighty then. Experiment failed. But you know what – I tried the experiment a few days later with a $1 bill and my youngest daughter brought it to me within an hour. She said, “Mommy I found this on the step & it’s not mine. Is it yours?” I decided right then & there that honesty was more important than my silly little test & I was more than a little embarrassed. (And I let her keep the $1)

Blessings to you & your family in 2008! Patricia

12. kmom3 says

New Year’s Resolution…I need to go out and buy myself some big girl panties! πŸ™‚ Maybe then I can have less hissy fits!
    Thanks for the laughs!
    One question, though. If said nugget had actually been a Hershey’s chocolate nugget, would there have been any evidence to post about? Not in my house!!! I don’t think the 10 second rule (or ten hour?) applies to chocolate! πŸ™‚
    Happy New Year, Lysa!

dOh my goodness~you make me laugh & think at the same time! One thing I lack is applying wisdom to my life. Yesterday when we spent the entire day/evening/early morning moving our daughter upstairs & us downstairs I threw one of my fits. The mattresses, dressers, clothes, shoes…all the needs of daily living for 3 people were everywhere & I simply lost it. I think Alyssa’s words through her tears were “you’re the one that’s pouting.” So the chicken nugget story will be printed off & put where I can read it daily. I have got to get this into my heart. My poor family must have such sore feet from walking on the egg shells this ticking time bomb leaves lying around our home.
    Anyway, thanks for sharing God’s truth in a way that makes me crack up but have the desire to do different.
    Also, thanks for the prayers for Alyssa. God is really doing things in our lives & this is just so worth it. I will definitely share with her that your praying. I did last time you said that & took her to your blog so she could put a name with a face. She thought that was so neat that you would pray for her. So…thank you.
    Too funny about Art peeing in a drawer! Alivia & I had numerous laughs today about her kitchen commode! By the way when I shared with Alivia that “this lady’s husband peed in a drawer so your not the only one” she asked after much laughter, “did she see him do it?” Guess I should’ve included the part “when her husband was a little boy” πŸ˜‰
    Thanks again Lysa & have a wonderful start to your new year!
    Lelia

I’m sorry but that is just too funny! I have tried this experiment at my house and alas, like you, no one picks up whatever it is…even if it belongs to them! I have even tried this more than once and…nothing! You’d think I would stop trying but I probably won’t!

Happy New Year!

I just wish I had an ounce of the wisdom that God has blessed you with…to take a dried up old nugget and turn it into a great lesson, Biblical at that.
    I needed that today though..as I through a hissy last night. Was just so fed up w/ certain things (me doing my mommy/homemaker job ALL day long, then having two more kids come into the bunch, then hubby says “Mind if I go hunting”, or rather “Take a walk behind the house”..his terms for hunting. I do need to let go sometimes, ok, a lot of times.. I think I’ll start a new study in the morning on Isaiah!
    Blessings,
    Alyce

I am so glad I found this site. I must admit I only checked it out because of the give away. There are not many people who can take everyday experience that we all go through and turn them into gentle lessons. God truely works through you. Have a blessed New Year.

Love it! This is how my mind works all the time. It’s always amazing to me how the Lord can take the most common things in our lives and paint a great picture for us.

I’m sure you will view chicken in a whole new light all year long.

Blessing to you this new year!

18. Jacoba says

I need to remember this the next time I’m about to have a hissy fit. I don’t even have young children, but a husband who can make a mess and leave it with the best of them, so yes, I have great hissy fits from time to time. What a waste of good energy. Happy New Year!

19. Squirrelly Mom says

HA HA you had a chickie nugget that no one would claim. I had a calendar that I can’t find. I had it two weeks ago, put it where I could find it today and NOW I can’t find it. No one saw where I put it. I feel like having a ‘hissy fit’ but I know that before today is over, God is going to show me where I put it and I am going to feel so foolish. Oh well, I hope you all have a blessed day and an even more blessed year!!

I just wondered if you ever find UFO’s in your car, too? (UFO = unidentified food-like objects) Although, they are usually under my couch…

Once again Lysa, you make me laugh! Reading your books and your blog is such a little pleasure. I hope you have a wonderful, hissy-fit-free 2008!

21. Anonymous says

WOW! Who knew a chicken nugget could be so profound? =D
    I think, like you, that I am going to try my best to put on my big girl panties and quit whining about things like nuggets being left around the house! Thank goodness we have a merciful God because it’s going to take a lot of mercy to help me with this one!
    Thank you for such a great lesson, Lysa!

Yes, this would be a great year to put on my “big girl panties” and never take them off again. πŸ™‚
    I have so been there before-maybe not a chicken nugget–but something else for sure.
    Good thoughts!
    Great things to remember in the coming year.

RYC-How cool that your Mom used to fix you beignets.If you would like to order some you can go to http://www.cafedumonde.com.
    Or call 1-800-772-2927

Hope you enjoy them!
    Thanks for stopping by.

Great story! With 4 strapping sons all who sleep downstairs, I am often amazed at the Olympic-style jumps they will perform to avoid the mount-never-rest of laundry sitting on the steps, just waiting for someone to say “oh mom must need this brought to the laundry room – let me pounce on this opportunity to serve this wonderful woman!” I’ve started to make up songs, set to famous Broadway numbers to keep myself serving my family cheerfully and keep me laughing! I know that all too soon my laundry load will diminish and these great kids will be living somewhere else!
    Thanks for blessing us each morning with your grace-filled humor and God honoring perspective!
    Blessing to you and your family,
    Lori

LAND SAKES girl you crack me up!!! I’ve lurked at your blog often but just HAD to leave you a shout out today for this blog!! TOO MUCH GIRL!!! LOL!!!

Thanks for the fresh perspective on the nuggets I’m sure to find around my house too!
    Happy New Year.
    Valarie

Today I had the deep,deep joy of discovering a somewhat smelly and rancid banana skin down the side of the sofa while on the oft repeated search for the tv remote.It is surely a mothers delight to do these things…not!!
    The worst thing ever discovered in this house was a beaker of milk that had remained undiscovered for about a month in my son’s bedroom. Not pleasant.

Happy New Year and here’s to all that God promises for us and especially to His continued faithfulness in spite of the hissy fits!!

I’m sure in time I’ll find lots of day old/month old food particles around my house … though my boys (husband included) like to eat to much to leave anything lying around. And then theres our dog if they don’t eat it she will πŸ™‚

Love the verse and your wisdom added to it!

Lysa, Thanks for sharing. I threw a whopper of a hissy fit just last week. It was over a burst water pipe in my barn that “no one” told me about. My tenant left it bursting for 2 days. Her reasoning was that she didn’t want to call me on Christmas. I let her have it (I’m really a very even-tempered person). In the end, I felt drained, grouchy, and very sorry for letting profanity lash out so easily. I called back the next day and apologized. My husband fixed the pipe. End of hissy fit. Isaiah’s words are going in my journal today. I probably need them on the frig, too. Happy New Year – Blessings, Vicky

Oh Lysa, that’s hysterical!

Thanks for stopping by my blog, I answered you back in my comment.
    Let me know where that conference is when you know! I need help!! I don’t know where to begin with publishing.

Blessings,
    Sue

Very good restraint, I’m proud of you. I also want to get some chicken nuggets for lunch.
    No really, that is a good lesson application. I need to just pick my battle instead of getting upset about small things and cause everyone to think of me as a prison warden. I’ve even been looking at these small offenses in a humorous way. it’s nicer laughing about them rather than being upset.

This is so realistic to my own family-I feel your pain! I love the spiritual implication you made here. Though I hope to work on scripture memorization in this new year, I need to also look at how I respond in sitiuations such as this…ouch! The passage you used from Isaiah has been on my car visor for over two years now-I cling to thse verses! Have a blessed new year!
    In His Braces!Pamela

I feel like I am writing an old friend. I heard you speak several years ago at a conference in Greeneville, TN. You made such an impression on me and my friends. Your ministry has touched me in so many ways, and I am grateful for your example of radical obdience. I just watched the Oprah clip, and just was not a bit surprised…you are so precious and your family and friends…WOW. God is good. I saw your comment on Travis Cottrell’s blog and had to come check in with your journey. I am so glad I did, I am once again so blessed and encouraged. Much love, and thanks again for sharing your walk with the Most High with us, Kelly Snodgrass

32. SharonB says

My first visit to your blog…Oh I can SO relate…to the possibility of a hissy fit and the nugget!

2007 was MY year of learning to be a “big girl”. πŸ™‚

I look forward to spending time here in the future…

I love, Love, LOVE Chick-fil-a, so if it had been a Chick-fil-a nugget in my home, it would’ve been gone because I probably would’ve eaten eat! Haha! What a wonderful resolution…big girl panties…I think I need to make that one of mine too! πŸ˜‰

Wow – what an awesome post! I just came across your blog for the first time this morning. I love how you added your comments to the passage in Isaiah. It is so easy throughout the course of a given day to let those little things that frustrate us to build. If we (IF I) can just leave the frustrations behind and move forward to the next thing, it would make for a better day for me (and no doubt those around me!). Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Hope you have a wonderful week!
    Karen

It seems to be the mom in the family that tends to notice little things like chicken nuggets! πŸ™‚ I loved your drawing to a close by bringing in a spirtitual nugget as well. It reminds me of a poem I wrote a few weeks ago about snowmen, a bank and Jesus. Even little things in our lives can point us to spiritual nuggets, if we are looking with our special glasses! πŸ™‚

I tried the same scenario with the guinea pig one day. She sat, even squealed for someone to get her off the chair, nope no one. I didn’t take photos but the kids read books to her but never put her back in the cage. Finally I returned her to her pig cage where she happily cherped at me and ran to her Pepsi box to hide. I had more than the pig to clean up by the time it was over and that just showed me it is easier to do it myself with a smile than to throw a hissyfit hours later.
    So, now back to chores…… we haven’t gotten any done yet today and I feel a hissy coming on
    ange

Oh. My. Goodness.

I just posted a comment on your most recent thoughts and then found my way over here.

Lysa…this is the EXACT scripture the LORD, the Almighty, gave to me on December 3, 2007. What affirmation as I read your deep poultry thoughts. *smile*

38. Anonymous says

Good Morning!!! lysaterkeurst.blogspot.com is one of the best informational websites of its kind. I enjoy reading it every day. Keep it that way.